Guessing Game: Devo – “New Traditionalists” (UPDATED 3/30)
It was recently announced that, not long after Devo’s Duty Now for the Future reissue and upcoming new single, Warner Bros. will be continuing the reissue chain with New Traditionalists, the band’s fourth LP from 1981, due back in stores on May 11.
To date, no bonus tracks have been announced. Prior reissues have seen bonus tracks ranging from new live material (the 2009 live performance of Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! that accompanied the reissue of the original) to old live material (the DEV-O Live EP was added to the Freedom of Choice reissue) or just a bunch of B-sides (as is the case on the forthcoming Duty Now for the Future reissue).
With all of this in mind, it seemed like a good idea to pore through some tracks that might be included.
- “Working in the Coalmine”: this song was cut from New Traditionalists but, after being a minor hit from the Heavy Metal soundtrack, it was included as a bonus 7″ single with the album itself. There’d be no reason not to include it, honestly.
- “Mecha-Mania Boy”: a non-LP single that was included on the Infinite Zero reissue of New Traditionalists in 1997 (along with “Coalmine” and the next track.
- “Nu-Tra Speaks (New Traditionalist Man)”: A spoken-word transmission for the Devo devotees that was the B-side to the “Beautiful World” 7″ picture-disc and included on the Infinite Zero reissue.
- The Dance Velocity Remixes: While they’re not for everybody, there was a 7″ single pressed with remixes of “Through Being Cool” and “Going Under” that, as far as I know, haven’t seen a CD release.
- Devo on Fridays: In October of 1981, Devo made their final of three appearances on the cult comedy show Fridays. The band performed five songs in total – “Adventures of the Smart Patrol,” “Jerkin’ Back ‘N’ Forth,” “I Saw Jesus,” “Through Being Cool” and “Working in the Coalmine.” View them all here.
- Demos: The Recombo DNA demo compilation by Rhino Handmade included demos of “I Saw Jesus,” “Pity You,” “Beautiful World” and “The Super Thing” (under the title “Psychology of Desire”), and the Rykodisc Hardcore Devo collection of pre-Warner demos included a version of “Working in the Coalmine.” Perhaps these (or others as yet unreleased) might be dusted off for the reissue.
UPDATE: Anti-Music has posted the full track list, including six bonus tracks, for New Traditionalists – and The Second Disc got two of them right! Check out the full track list after the jump.
Devo – New Traditionalists (originally released as Warner Bros. BSK 3595, 1981)
- Through Being Cool
- Jerkin’ Back ‘N’ Forth
- Pity You
- Soft Things
- Going Under
- Race of Doom
- Love Without Anger
- The Super Thing
- Beautiful World
- Enough Said
- Nu-tra Speaks (New Traditionalist Man) (B-side to “Beautiful World” picture disc – Warner Bros. WBSP 49826, 1981)
- One Dumb Thing (from Pioneers Who Got Scalped: The Anthology – Rhino R2 75967, 2000)
- Modern Life (from Recombo DNA compilation – Rhino Handmade RHM2 7718, 2000)
- Faster and Faster (from Recombo DNA compilation – Rhino Handmade RHM2 7718, 2000)
- Psychology of Desire (Demo) (from Recombo DNA compilation – Rhino Handmade RHM2 7718, 2000)
- Beautiful World (E-Z Listening Version) (from the E-Z Listening Disc - Rykodisc RCD 20031, 1987)