By Grabthar’s Hammer! “Galaxy Quest” Score Unearthed from Vaults
With all the Star Trek soundtrack love expressed in the reissue world lately, it’s awesome to report the premiere release of the score to the best Trek satire there ever was. The soundtrack to the excellent 1999 comedy Galaxy Quest is making its commercial debut from La-La Land Records.
Galaxy Quest is the tale of a group of struggling actors known for playing the crew of a short-lived cult favorite show of the same name. Tim Allen is the William Shatner-esque captain, Sigourney Weaver the bombshell computer officer, Alan Rickman the Shakespearean actor doomed to play the big-headed, non-human science officer and Tony Shaloub the calm, collected engineer. (Add Daryl Mitchell as a precocious kid pilot all grown up, and Sam Rockwell as a hapless actor known for playing a crew member killed off in an early episode, and you’ve got your basic Trek-esque full house.) While piloting a routine mission to a sci-fi convention, they’re intercepted by a real group of aliens, who take the show for historical fact and enlist them to save their planet from a very real crisis.
The deft blend of traditional sci-fi pomp, grandiose action and light-hearted comedy comes courtesy of one David Newman, hardly a stranger to a smorgasbord of musical styles, as the son of legendary 20th Century-Fox composer Alfred (and cousin of Disney/Pixar composer/pop legend Randy). While he released a good amount of the score as a promotional CD not long after the film’s release, this is the first time the score is making its debut anywhere, with even more music than what was on that promo disc.
With a 3,000 unit pressing, it shouldn’t take a blueprint of the NSEA Protector starship to tell you this is going to be a hot commodity among soundtrack fans. Order it now, after the jump!
David Newman, Galaxy Quest: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (La-La Land Records LLLCD 1208, 2012 – original film released 1999)
- Galaxy Quest: The Classic TV Theme
- TV Clip
- Pathetic Nesmith
- Galaxy Quest TV Clip #3/Introducing Sarris/Revealing the Universe
- Transporting the Crew/Meet the Thermians
- The N.S.E.A. Protector
- Crew Quarters & The Bridge/The Launch
- Jason Takes Action/Sarris Tortures Captain
- Red Thingie, Green Thingie… Run!
- Shuttle to Planet/Trek Across Planet
- Rolling the Sphere/Pig Lizard/Rock Monster
- “Digitize Me Fred”
- “I’m So Sorry”
- Fight, Episode 17
- The Hallway Sneak/Alex Finds Quellek
- Angry Sarris/Into the Ducts/Omega 13/Heroic Guy/Reveal Chompers/Opening the Airlock
- Big Kiss/Happy Rock Monster/Dying Thermians/Quellek’s Death/Into Reactor Room/Push the Button/A Hug Before Dying
- Sarris Orders Attack/The Battle
- Mathesar Takes Command/Sarris Kills Everybody
- Mathesar, Hero/Goodbye My Friends/Crash Landing
- Goodbye Sarris/Happy Ending
- The New Galaxy Quest
Portions of this program released as Super Tracks promotional disc DNCD-02, 2000