Here’s one off the beaten reissue path for you children of the eighties! Chances are you’ll remember Masters of the Universe: Prince Adam of Eternia transformed into the valiant warrior He-Man to defend his kingdom from the evil forces of Skeletor. Launched as an action figure line in 1982, the franchise reached its largest audience via Filmation’s animated television series He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. 130 episodes were produced over two seasons, but the series continued to air first in syndication and then on the USA Network. In fact, episodes still air today on various programming blocks from Qubo Night Owl and the Retro Television Network, and He-Man has had continued life via 1990 and 2002 television updates as well as a campy 1987 film starring Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella. In fact, the character’s ongoing popularity is such that DC Comics is reviving him again for an upcoming comic book series. What does this all have to do with The Second Disc, you might ask?
France’s XIII Bis Music label is reissuing the original soundtrack album to Filmation’s Masters of the Universe on May 14 for the first time on commercial CD. The 1983 album was originally issued in France and Argentina only, so it’s largely unknown in the United States. It contains fourteen tracks composed by Haim Saban and Shuki Levy from the fondly-remembered series, including the theme song in its original version, a shorter alternate, and even with a Spanish intro! There are individual cues for characters such as Teela, Eternia’s Captain of the Royal Guard, and Orko, the impish magician from another dimension. There’s also a lengthy sixteen-minute cue featuring the underscore for the series’ tenth episode, “A Friend in Need.”
Hit the jump for more including the track listing and pre-order link!
Masters of the Universe joins XIII Bis’ diverse slate of television album releases including scores from another 1980s cartoon, Inspector Gadget, and the CBS nighttime soap Dallas. It’s due in France on May 14. If you’re in the mood for this slice of eighties cartoon nostalgia, it can be pre-ordered at the link below!
Original Television Soundtrack, Les Maitres De L’Univers (Masters of the Universe) (CBS Records Argentina 20.573, 1973 – reissued XIII Bis Records, 2012)
- Masters of the Universe 2’50 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- Teela's Theme 1’25 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- Orko's Theme 1’52 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- Sweet Dreams 1’55 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- Castle Grayskull 1’25 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- The Royal Family 1’42 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- Orko's Crazy Race 0’55 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- Snake Mountain's Theme 2’00 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- Méditation 1’50 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- Orko and the Time Wheel Machine 1’30 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- The Magic Planet 3’00 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- A Friend in Need 16’00 (Original TV Episode)
- Masters of the Universe (Alternative Version) 2’48 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)
- Masters of the Universe (Spanish intro) 3’30 (Haim Saban / Shuki Levy)