The wait is over! The second wave of Led Zeppelin reissues arrive in stores today! Led Zeppelin IV premieres an entire alternate version of the album, including the Sunset Sound Mix of “Stairway to Heaven,” the U.K. mix of “When the Levee Breaks” and the basic track with guitar overdubs of “Black Dog.” Houses of the Holy has seven of its eight tracks in bonus form, primarily rough or working mixes. This is your place to sound off on this pair of remastered and expanded releases from Messrs. Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham!
JULY 29, 2014 – It may be the dog days of summer, but that hasn’t stopped Led Zeppelin from adding a little more heat. Following yesterday’s news of the next two reissues in Paul McCartney’s Archive Collection series, the legendary blues-rock band has announced the two next installments in its own definitive reissue program. On October 28, Rhino/Atlantic – in conjunction with Zeppelin’s Swan Song label – will release Led Zeppelin IV and Houses of the Holy in a variety of CD, vinyl and digital formats.
The album referred to as Led Zeppelin IV arrived in late 1971, bearing no album title or even the band’s name on its cover. Not that anybody was confused; with songs like “Stairway to Heaven,” “Black Dog,” “Rock and Roll” and “Going to California,” sales soared. Though it peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard 200, it’s currently the second-best selling album ever in the U.S., nestled between Michael Jackson’s Thriller and Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. How to top that? Houses of the Holy, consisting of all original material, arrived in spring 1973, and moved the band even further away from its blues-based brand of hard rock. Its layered production and intricate compositions of “The Rain Song,” “The Song Remains the Same” and the reggae-based “D’yer Mak’er” a chart-topping album on both sides of the Atlantic.
Both albums will be available in the style of the recent Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III reissues, in the following formats:
- Standard CD – Remastered album packaged in a gatefold card wallet.
- 2-CD Deluxe Edition (2CD) – Remastered album plus previously unreleased companion audio disc.
- Standard LP – Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl, packaged in a replica sleeve of the album’s first pressing.
- Deluxe Edition Vinyl (2LP) – Remastered album and previously unreleased companion audio pressed on 180-gram vinyl.
- Digital Download – Remastered album and companion audio will both be available.
- Super Deluxe Box Set featuring the remastered original album and companion audio on both CD and 180-gram vinyl, plus a high-resolution digital download card for all content, housed in a hardbound 80-page book with a high-quality print of the album cover (the first 30,000 of which are individually numbered) also included.
After the jump, we have more information including the complete track listings and pre-order links for both titles!
Led Zeppelin IV and Houses of the Holy will hit stores on October 28, just in time for the holiday gift-giving season. You can check out the specs and pre-order links just below! (Amazon U.K. links are currently inactive; we will update shortly!)
Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV (Atlantic SD 7208, 1971 – reissued Atlantic/Swan Song, 2014)
- “Black Dog”
- “Rock And Roll”
- “The Battle of Evermore”
- “Stairway To Heaven”
- “Misty Mountain Hop”
- “Four Sticks”
- “Going To California”
- “When The Levee Breaks”
Companion Audio Disc:
- “Black Dog” – Basic Track With Guitar Overdubs
- “Rock And Roll” – Alternate Mix
- “The Battle Of Evermore” – Mandolin/Guitar Mix From Headley Grange
- “Stairway To Heaven” – Sunset Sound Mix
- “Misty Mountain Hop” – Alternate Mix
- “Four Sticks” – Alternate Mix
- “Going To California” – Mandolin/Guitar Mix
- “When The Levee Breaks” – Alternate UK Mix
Led Zeppelin, Houses of the Holy (Atlantic SD 7255, 1973 – reissued Atlantic/Swan Song, 2014)
- “The Song Remains The Same”
- “The Rain Song”
- “Over The Hills And Far Away”
- “The Crunge”
- “Dancing Days”
- “D’yer Mak’er”
- “No Quarter”
- “The Ocean”
Companion Audio Disc
- “The Song Remains The Same” – Guitar Overdub Reference Mix
- “The Rain Song” – Mix Minus Piano
- “Over The Hills And Far Away” – Guitar Mix Backing Track
- “The Crunge” – Rough Mix – Keys Up
- “Dancing Days” – Rough Mix With Vocal
- “No Quarter” – Rough Mix With JPJ Keyboard Overdubs – No Vocal
- “The Ocean” – Working Mix