The legacy of Aretha Franklin lives on, with today bringing announcements of a new pair of releases plus a special digital Christmas single from the forever Queen of Soul.
On December 7, Rhino/Atlantic will issue a new vinyl box set. The Atlantic Records 1960s Collection presents Franklin’s first five Atlantic studio albums, plus a bonus LP with 11 demos and outtakes that are making their vinyl debut. Limited to 5,000 copies, the box features each album pressed on 140-gram vinyl and presented in replica jackets. These classic albums, originally released between 1967 and 1969, remain benchmarks in the realm of soul: I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You (Mono), Aretha Arrives (Mono), Lady Soul (Stereo), Aretha Now (Stereo), and Soul ’69 (Stereo). The Rarities from the 1960s bonus disc has outtakes like “You Keep Me Hangin’ On” and “The Fool on the Hill” as well as demos including “I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)” and “Dr. Feelgood (Love Is a Serious Business).” All of these originally appeared on the 2007 CD compilation Rare and Unreleased Recordings from the Golden Reign of the Queen of Soul.
But before that, Rhino will also revisit Franklin’s sole seasonal long-player on vinyl. 2009’s This Christmas will make its vinyl debut as a 9-track LP on November 16. Produced by Tena Clark, the album features distinctive takes on staples of both the traditional and modern-day Christmas songbooks, including “Angels We Have Heard on High,” “Silent Night,” “My Grown-Up Christmas List,” and “This Christmas.” Note that the vinyl edition, for reasons of length, drops two tracks from the original CD version: “One Night with The King” and “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas.” The album has also been slightly resequenced.
To celebrate the Christmas reissue, Rhino has released a special new mix of Aretha’s “Silent Night” which is available today at all digital download and streaming services. This “Solo Piano Version” features the Queen’s striking solo voice-and-piano performance of the classic carol.
You’ll find the track listings and pre-order links for The Atlantic Records 1960s Collection and This Christmas just below! Don’t forget to check out “Silent Night” today!
Aretha Franklin, The Atlantic Records 1960s Collection (Rhino/Atlantic, 2018) (Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada Links TBD)
LP 1: I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You – Mono
LP 2: Aretha Arrives – Mono
LP 3: Lady Soul – Stereo
LP 4: Aretha Now – Stereo
LP 5: Soul ’69 – Stereo
LP 6: Rarities from the 1960s:
- “I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)” – Demo
- “Dr. Feelgood (Love Is A Serious Business)” – Demo
- “It Was You” – Outtake from Aretha Arrives
- “The Letter” – Outtake from Aretha Arrives
- “So Soon” – Outtake from Aretha Arrives
- “Mr. Big” – Outtake from Aretha Arrives
- “Talk To Me, Talk To Me” – Outtake from Soul ’69
- “The Fool on the Hill” – Outtake from This Girl’s in Love with You
- “You’re Taking Up Another Man’s Place” – Outtake from This Girl’s in Love with You/Spirit in the Dark
- “You Keep Me Hangin’ On” – Outtake from This Girl’s in Love with You/Spirit in the Dark
- “I’m Trying To Overcome” – Outtake from This Girl’s in Love with You/Spirit in the Dark
Aretha Franklin, This Christmas (DMI Records R2 516188, 2008 – reissued Rhino, 2018) (Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada Links TBD)
- “Angels We Have Heard On High”
- “This Christmas”
- “My Grown-Up Christmas List”
- “The Lord Will Make A Way”
- “Ave Maria”
- “Christmas Ain’t Christmas (Without The One You Love)”
- “14 Angels”
- “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”
- “Silent Night”