Rhino is continuing its ongoing series celebrating the music of The Doors with a new 50th anniversary edition of the band’s fourth studio album, The Soft Parade. Originally released 50 years ago today on July 18, 1969, The Soft Parade introduced the hit “Touch Me” and became Morrison, Manzarek, Krieger, and Densmore’s fourth consecutive Top Ten album. The Soft Parade was further distinguished by the presence of orchestral arrangements for the first time on a Doors record. On October 18, Rhino will revisit the classic LP on a new 3CD/1 LP box set.
The Soft Parade: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, includes the original studio album – and the non-LP B-side of “Wishful Sinful,” “Who Scared You” – as newly remastered by the band’s longtime collaborator, Bruce Botnick on CD and 180-gram vinyl plus new liner notes by rock journalist David Fricke.
13 previously unreleased tracks are spread across Discs 2 and 3, including stripped-down “Doors Only” mixes sans the brass and strings of “Tell All The People,” “Touch Me,” “Wishful Sinful,” “Runnin’ Blue,” and “Who Scared You.” The set additionally features three of those stripped-down (“Touch Me,” “Wishful Sinful,” and “Runnin’ Blue) versions with new guitar parts added by Robby Krieger.
Three more tracks have been culled from studio rehearsals – with Ray Manzarek (a.k.a. Screamin’ Ray Daniels) on vocals – that include an early version of “Roadhouse Blues,” a song that would arrive the following year on Morrison Hotel. These three songs feature newly recorded bass parts by Robert DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots, who joined Krieger and John Densmore at a tribute concert for Manzarek in 2016, three years after the organist died of cancer. Manzarek’s take on “Roadhouse Blues” is available now on all digital download and streaming services. Among the three studio outtakes collected on the set’s final disc is much-bootlegged, hourlong jam “Rock Is Dead,” which appears on this set in its entire, surviving form for the first time ever.
A hand-numbered 36 x 18 lithograph of the interior vinyl gatefold artwork, limited to 500 copies, is available with orders of the new Soft Parade exclusively at Rhino.com and TheDoors.com while supplies last.
The Soft Parade: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition is due on October 18 along with a single-disc of the remastered original album only. You’ll find the track listing and pre-order links below!
The Doors, The Soft Parade: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Elektra/Rhino, 2019)
CD 1 & LP: The Original Album (Elektra LP EKS-75005, 1969)
- “Tell All The People”
- “Touch Me”
- “Shaman’s Blues”
- “Do It”
- “Easy Ride”
- “Wild Child”
- “Runnin’ Blue”
- “Wishful Sinful”
- “The Soft Parade”
- “Who Scared You” (Bonus Track) (Elektra single EK-45656-B, 1969)
- “Tell All The People” (Doors only mix)*
- “Touch Me” (Doors only mix w/new Robby Krieger guitar overdub)*
- “Runnin’ Blue” (Doors only mix w/new Robby Krieger guitar overdub)*
- “Wishful Sinful” (Doors only mix w/new Robby Krieger guitar overdub)*
- “Who Scared You” (Doors only mix)*
- “Roadhouse Blues” – Screamin’ Ray Daniels (a.k.a. Ray Manzarek) on vocal*
- “(You Need Meat) Don’t Go No Further” – Screamin’ Ray Daniels (a.k.a. Ray Manzarek) on vocal*
- “I’m Your Doctor” – Screamin’ Ray Daniels (a.k.a. Ray Manzarek) on vocal*
- “Touch Me” (Doors only mix)*
- “Runnin’ Blue” (Doors only mix) *
- “Wishful Sinful” (Doors only mix)*
- “I Am Troubled”
- “Seminary School” (aka “Petition The Lord With Prayer”) *
- “Rock Is Dead” – Complete Version *
- “Chaos” *
(*) denotes previously unreleased track