Paul McCartney and Wings
3CD/2DVD/BD Box: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada (TBD)
2LP [Remastered Single Album + Bonus Audio]: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada (TBD)
2LP [Remastered Double Album]: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada (TBD)
2CD [Remastered Single Album + Bonus Audio]: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada (TBD)
The second 2018 Archive Collection box is dedicated to Wild Life‘s follow-up, 1973’s Red Rose Speedway. In early 1972, the McCartneys had made the decision to expand Wings to a quintet with the addition of guitarist Henry McCullough. Recording began in March of that year, though once again Paul tapped the reserve of songs recorded during the Ram sessions for a couple of tracks. The album was originally planned as a double LP, and sessions continued at various studios throughout the year. It was preceded in March 1973 by the release of “My Love” as a single; the ravishing ballad marked a return to classic form for McCartney, and spent four weeks atop the U.S. Hot 100; it made a not-unimpressive No. 9 on the U.K. Singles Chart. When Red Rose Speedway finally reached stores on April 30 (U.S.) and May 4 (U.K.) 1973, it had been trimmed to a single LP. The super deluxe 3CD/2DVD/1BD set features:
- The remastered original album on CD 1;
- The original double album sequence on CD 2;
- 17 bonus tracks on CD 3 including the 1972 singles “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” “Hi, Hi, Hi” and “C Moon;” the soundtrack cut and 1973 single “Live and Let Die,” plus early mixes, outtakes (“Thank You, Darling,” “Seaside Woman,” “I Would Only Smile,” “1882,” “Jazz Street,” “Tragedy,” and “Best Friend”), and home recordings;
- A DVD with music videos, an interview, and the first commercial release of the 1973 James Paul McCartney ATV television special; and
- The never-before-seen The Bruce McMouse Show, featuring animation and footage from Wings’ 1972 tour on both DVD and Blu-ray in 5.1 surround sound and high-resolution stereo.
If you still want more, PaulMcCartney.com has an exclusive bundle of both Red Rose Speedway and Wild Life in a new slipcase plus an additional volume: Wings Over Europe. This mini-set has a 20-track compendium of the band’s performances on their 1972 European tour, plus a replica of the tour program and a 96-page book featuring Linda’s photos. Highlights CDs and vinyl versions will also be available. Red Rose Speedway‘s 2 LP and 2CD iterations have the remastered single album plus the Bonus Audio disc, and the double album version will be available as a standalone 2LP set, as well.