Two newly-announced catalogue titles bring some rare tracks by R&B and soul legends to CD for the first time - and both have a bit of a Motown collection.
First up is Reel Music's CD debut of Pressure Cookin', the only LP cut by Labelle for RCA Records. Recorded a year before "Lady Marmalade" shot the group to success, this record features some intriguing highlights, including a medley of Thunderclap Newman's "Something in the Air" and Gil Scott-Heron's "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised," a tune ("Open Up Your Heart") written by Stevie Wonder and a host of intriguing, Nona Hendryx-penned cuts like "Goin' on a Holiday" and "(Can I Speak Before You Go to) Hollywoood," an autobiographical tale of losing touch with other musicians on the road. There's no bonus cuts, but new liner notes and a fresh remastering (approved by Hendryx and band manager Vicki Wickham) - plus the fact that this album has never been on CD before - should make this a worthy buy.
Hip-o Select has geared up another rare LP for its first CD release. I Am My Brother's Keeper is the first and only record cut by Jimmy and David Ruffin. David was, of course, the voice behind some of The Temptations' greatest hits ("My Girl" and "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" being but two) and Jimmy was the younger brother who'd had a big hit of his own, the delightfully mournful "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted." I Am My Brother's Keeper, featuring covers of "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" and a hit rendition of "Stand by Me," makes its CD debut with two unreleased tracks from the Motown vault and new artwork and liner notes.
Labelle, Pressure Cookin' (Reel Music 66748-78029-2, 2010 - originally released as RCA APL1-0205, 1973)
- Pressure Cookin'
- Medley: Something in the Air/The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
- Sunshine (Woke Me Up This Morning)
- (Can I Speak Before You Go to) Hollywoood
- Mr. Music Man
- Goin' on a Holiday
- Let Me See You in the Light
- Open Up Your Heart
- Last Dance
- He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
- Stand by Me
- When My Love Hand Comes Down
- Got to See If I Can't Get Mommy (To Come Back Home)
- Your Love Was Worth Waiting For
- Steppin' on a Dream
- Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)
- True Love Can Be Beautiful
- Turn Back the Hands of Time
- Set 'Em Up (Move in for the Thrill)
- The Things We Have to Do
- Lo and Behold
- You're What I Need (Not What I Want) *
- Stand by Me (Brothers Mix - Undubbed Version) *
* denotes previously unreleased track