White was a Louisiana-bred guitarist famous mostly for his compositions rather than his own performances. "Polk Salad Annie" was his biggest hit, but it's primarily known as a concert staple during Elvis' last decade. "Rainy Night in Georgia" was also his composition, though Brook Benton made it a gold-seller in 1970. But this live set - the recording date and venue of which are unknown - is all White's. Thirteen tracks, recorded alongside Sammy Creason on drums, Michael Utley on keyboards and Donald "Duck" Dunn on bass guitar, of White burning through his own tunes available on LPs from Warner Bros. and Monument Records, and a cover of "Stormy Monday" to boot. This sounds like it should be a hit for the swamp-rock, Creedence Clearwater Revival-esque crowd (White speculates in the liner notes that the show may indeed come from a show where White opened for CCR).
Pre-order here and read the track list after the jump.
Tony Joe White, That On the Road Look "Live" (Rhino Handmade, 2010)
- Roosevelt and Ira Lee (Night of the Mossacin) - 5:03
- A Night in the Life of a Swamp Fox - 6:45
- Rainy Night in Georgia - 4:56
- Mississippi River - 5:02
- Lustful Earl and the Married Woman - 4:09
- Willie and Laura Mae Jones - 5:35
- Back to the Country - 3:33
- Band Introductions - 0:14
- Traveling Bone - 3:56
- Stormy Monday - 5:24
- My Kind of Woman - 6:03
- Polk Salad Annie - 10:32
- That On the Road Look - 5:34