The Billy Joel floodgates are about to burst open with the release of Live at Shea Stadium: The Concert, an audio scrapbook of the Piano Man's show-stopping concerts at Shea Stadium, the last major events held at the iconic sporting arena before its closure and demolition.
Already documented in Last Play at Shea - a multifaceted documentary on the longtime home of the New York Mets and the Long Island-raised rocker who performed there (to be released on DVD next month) - Columbia/Legacy will release a multi-format distillation of the two nights in July 2008 in which Joel held court alongside some of the biggest names in classic and modern pop and rock, including Tony Bennett, Garth Brooks, John Mayer and, in an historic moment, Paul McCartney, no stranger to Shea himself.
The set will be released as a CD/DVD package - the DVD featuring three extra performances with guests Steven Tyler, Roger Daltrey and John Mellencamp - as well as a standalone DVD and a standalone Blu-Ray disc - Billy Joel's first release on the high-definition video format. All three packages will be available on March 8, and PBS will air a broadcast version of the DVD content for its Great Performances series later that month.
This is the first volley of Legacy's promised catalogue blitz for Joel - but if you've been checking pre-order pages lately, it looks like the best may be yet to come...
Billy Joel, Live at Shea Stadium - The Concert (Columbia/Legacy 88697 85424-2, 2011)
- Prelude/Angry Young Man
- My Life
- Summer, Highland Falls
- Everybody Loves You Now
- New York State of Mind (with Tony Bennett)
- The Ballad of Billy the Kid
- She's Always a Woman
- Goodnight Saigon
- Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)
- Shameless (with Garth Brooks)
- This is the Time (with John Mayer)
- Keeping the Faith
- Captain Jack
- Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)
- The River of Dreams/A Hard Day's Night
- We Didn't Start the Fire
- You May Be Right
- Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
- Only the Good Die Young
- I Saw Her Standing There (with Paul McCartney)
- Take Me Out to the Ballgame
- Piano Man
- Let It Be (with Paul McCartney)
Bonus performances on DVD/Blu-Ray:
- Walk This Way (with Steven Tyler)
- My Generation (with Roger Daltrey)
- Pink Houses (with John Mellencamp)
All tracks recorded live at Shea Stadium, New York City - 7/16 and 7/18/2008