UPDATE: One unreleased track has been added to the reissue of The Miracle; in addition, the iTunes video content - much of it previously released - has been added to the post.
Original Post: The U.K. is rushin' headlong into the last batch of Queen reissues (available September 5 everywhere but the U.S.), and now there are track lists for each bonus EP, included with these reissues of The Works (1984), A Kind of Magic (1986), The Miracle (1989), Innuendo (1991) and the posthumous Made in Heaven (1995), finished after Freddie Mercury's passing.
Unsurprisingly, as Queen became increasingly focused on pop singles at this time, much of the bonus material derives from various remixes and non-LP B-sides released at the time. However, there are some unreleased tracks in the mix, including a live cut from the band's stint at Rock in Rio in 1985, a few demos from the A Kind of Magic and Innuendo eras and even a few unreleased remixes. A Kind of Magic has the most bonus cuts, with seven.
However, the bonus material is far from complete; several vinyl remixes abound which would have been nice to include with each album. (Fans have long stated that each reissue could have been expanded by a full disc instead of an EP. This may be no truer than in this final batch.)
A track list for the next Deep Cuts compilation has been released, too, drawing most heavily from the band's final two albums. Everything can be read after the jump.
Note: all catalogue numbers are based on U.K. records except where noted. * denotes previously unreleased material.
The Works Bonus EP (Island/UMC (U.K.), 2011)
- I Go Crazy (B-side to "Radio Ga Ga" - EMI QUEEN 1, 1984)
- I Want to Break Free (Single Remix) (single A-side - EMI QUEEN 2, 1984)
- Hammer to Fall (Headbanger's Mix) (12" A-side - EMI 12 QUEEN 4, 1984)
- Is This the World We Created...? (Live @ Rock in Rio - 1/11 or 1/18/1985) *
- Thank God It's Christmas (single A-side - EMI QUEEN 5, 1984)
- Tear It Up (Live @ Wembley Stadium, London - 7/11/1986)
- I Want to Break Free (Live @ Rock in Rio - January 1985)
- Radio Ga Ga (Promo Video, 1984)
A Kind of Magic Bonus EP (Island/UMC (U.K.), 2011)
- A Kind of Magic (Highlander Version) *
- One Vision (Single Version) (single A-side - EMI QUEEN 6, 1985)
- Pain is So Close to Pleasure (Single Remix) (single A-side - Capitol B-5633 (U.S.), 1986)
- Forever (CD bonus track from A Kind of Magic - EMI CDP 7 46267 2, 1986)
- A Kind of Vision (Demo) *
- One Vision (Live @ Wembley Stadium, London - 7/11/1986) (from Live Magic - EMI CDP 7 46413 2, 1986)
- Friends Will Be Friends Will Be Friends (CD bonus track from A Kind of Magic - EMI CDP 7 46267 2, 1986)
- One Vision (extended promo video, 1985)
- Princes of the Universe (promo video, 1986)
- A Kind of Magic (Live @ Wembley Stadium, London - 7/11/1986)
The Miracle Bonus EP (Island/UMC (U.K.), 2011)
- I Want It All (Single Version) (single A-side - Parlophone QUEEN 10, 1989)
- The Invisible Man (Early Version with Guide Vocal) *
- Hang On in There (B-side to "I Want It All" - Parlophone QUEEN 10, 1989)
- Hijack My Heart (B-side to "The Invisible Man" - Parlophone QUEEN 12, 1989)
- Stealin' (B-side to "Breakthru" - Parlophone QUEEN 11, 1989)
- Chinese Torture (CD bonus track from The Miracle - Parlophone CDPCSD 107, 1989)
- The Invisible Man (12" Version) (12" A-side - Parlophone 12 QUEEN 12, 1989)
- I Want It All (promo video, 1989)
- The Making of "The Miracle" promo video (1989)
- The Making of The Miracle album cover (1989)
Innuendo Bonus EP (Island/UMC (U.K.), 2011)
- I Can't Live with You (Rocks Re-Take) (from Queen Rocks - Parlophone 823 0912, 1997)
- Lost Opportunity (B-side to "I'm Going Slightly Mad" CD single - Parlophone CD QUEEN 17, 1991)
- Ride the Wild Wind (Early Version with Guide Vocal) *
- I'm Going Slightly Mad (Mad Mix) *
- Headlong (Embryo with Guide Vocal) *
- Innuendo (alternative promo video, 1991)
- These Are the Days of Our Lives (Hollywood Records alternative promo video, 1991)
- "Mad in the Making": The Making of the "I'm Going Slightly Mad" promo video (1991)
Made in Heaven Bonus EP (Island/UMC (U.K.), 2011)
- Heaven for Everyone (Single Version) (CD single A-side - Parlophone CD QUEEN S-21, 1995)
- It's a Beautiful Day (B-Side Version) (B-side to "Heaven for Everyone" CD single - Parlophone CD QUEEN S-21, 1995)
- My Life Has Been Saved (B-side to "Scandal" - Parlophone QUEEN 14, 1989)
- I Was Born to Love You (Piano & Vocal) *
- Rock in Rio Blues (Live @ Rock in Rio, 1/11 or 1/18/1985) (B-side to "A Winter's Tale" CD single - Parlophone CD QUEEN S-22, 1995)
- A Winter's Tale (Cosy Fireside Mix) *
- (Heart-ache) Too Much Love Will Kill You (promo video, 1995)
- Heaven for Everyone (promo video, 1995)
- A Winter's Tale (alternative promo video, 1995)
Deep Cuts 3 (Island/UMC (U.K.), 2011)
- Made in Heaven
- Machines (or 'Back to Humans')
- Don't Try So Hard
- Tear It Up
- I Was Born to Love You
- A Winter's Tale
- Ride the Wild Wind
- Was It All Worth It
- One Year of Love
- Khashoggi's Ship
- Is This the World We Created...?
- The Hitman
- It's a Beautiful Day (Reprise)
- Mother Love
Tracks 1, 5-6 and 14-15 from Made in Heaven (Parlophone, 1995)
Tracks 2, 4 and 12 from The Works (EMI, 1984)
Tracks 3, 7-8 and 13 from Innuendo (Parlophone, 1991)
Tracks 9 and 11 from The Miracle (Parlophone, 1989)
Track 10 from A Kind of Magic (EMI, 1986)
'The Works' also includes an extra bonus track:
5) It's A Hard Life (Live in Rio, January 1985) [Freddie Mercury]
overall a bit disappointed (again) with the bonus EP's
Still missing three from A Kind of Magic:
A Dozen Red Roses for My Darling
A Kind of A Kind of Magic
I was afraid this would happen, as these last five albums were especially heavy on b-sides, bonus tracks, and alternate versions.
The Paul McCartney Archive Collection appears to be a blueprint of sorts on how to handle a reissue campaign. Queen's remasters are the exact opposite.
I think Deep Cuts 3 should have added the explosive remix of Innuendo which is basically the same as the album version except that it is extended for another minute or so. I also agree that Blurred Vision, A Dozen Red Roses for My Darling and A KIND of A KIND of Magic should have been included in this batch as well.
I hope Amazon includes the second batch as well as the third batch as exclusive boxsets like they have with the first one which is really great. But I also hope that maybe there will be a boxset that could include all the B side odds and ends in the future or at the very least a 2 CD set because there are tons of extra tracks that haven't seen release on CD.
I absolutely agree that these bonus EPs should have been made into full length discs. A Kind of Magic should have included, in addition to the songs mentioned by plasket, all the Highlander mixes and New York New York, which is briefly heard in the movie. And Innuendo should have included Assassin.
True, they could've included those tracks... but what can you do? I take it as this: Sometimes we can't have it all. That's just my attitude on that. I mean, it is what it is.
Also, in case nobody has mentioned this... a box set containing the second batch of five Queen albums (from NEWS OF THE WORLD all the way to HOT SPACE) is available for pre-order on Amazon.com; its release date is September 13th.
Thanks for the Amazon info on the second batch boxset. I just put in a preorder!
Todd R. says
Don't worry, any leftovers will surely be a part of the 50th Anniversary Reissues. As some one who slaved over getting the 20th Anniversary catalog, only to have them remastered and set aside to AGAIN buy the catalog... ugh! 🙂
This just in... Amazon.com now has the box set containing the final batch of five albums--from 1984's THE WORKS all the way to 1995's MADE IN HEAVEN--available for pre-order! Its release date is November 1st.