What do Brian Wilson, MC Lyte and Sam Phillips have in common? All three are among the artists and producers represented on Omnivore Recordings’ trio of delicious vinyl offerings for this April 18’s upcoming Record Store Day!
Sessions ’64!! is so exciting that no less than two exclamation points will do!! This groovy 10-inch slab of translucent gold vinyl transports listeners back to 1964. It includes nine tracks produced by Brian Wilson and Jimmy Bowen for the Warner Bros. and Reprise Records labels, with arrangements from Wilson, Sandra Glantz (a.k.a. Ginger Blake from The Honeys) and California rock legend Gary Usher! Five of the songs are from The Honeys, while The Castells and The Timers are each represented with two tracks. Featuring mono masters, new stereo mixes and previously unreleased backing tracks, Sessions ’64!! looks to be a treat for Beach Boys diehards and fans of this perfect era of pop alike. It’s limited to 1,500 units.
For its next two releases, Omnivore jumps back to the present day! MC Lyte not only delivered the first full-length solo LP from a female rapper with 1988’s Lyte as a Rock, but in 1993 broke more ground as the first female hip-hop artist to be recognized with a Grammy nomination. Today, she’s back with a new release exclusively on Omnivore for Record Store Day. Legend features guest appearances from Faith Evans, Mario, Kenny Lattimore and Academy Award winner Common (“Glory”) over the course of its eleven tracks. It will be released on RSD on translucent gold vinyl with a download card containing the full album.
Last but certainly not least, Omnivore drops the second volume of Live from High Fidelity: The Best of the Podcast Performances. This release follows last year’s Volume One, culled from the popular podcast series hosted by former A&R man and current music publisher Tom DeSavia and musician/arranger Eric Gorfain. Volume Two includes Sam Phillips’ performance of her theme song, plus more live cuts from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ Benmont Tench, Sean and Sara Watkins (Nickel Creek), John Doe (X), Jill Sobule, Glen Phillips (Toad the Wet Sprocket), Better Than Ezra, The Haden Triples and Omnivore favorites Pugwash. A spoken-word sound bite from the legendary producer Glyn Johns rounds out this release, which arrives with a download card!
All three titles from Omnivore Recordings are set for release on Record Store Day, Saturday, April 18!
Various Artists, Sessions ’64!! (Omnivore, 2015)
- He’s a Doll (Mono Master) – The Honeys
- He’s a Doll (Stereo Mix) – The Honeys
- He’s a Doll (Stereo Backing Track) – The Honeys
- The Love of a Boy and a Girl (Mono Master) – The Honeys
- I Can See Right Through You (Go Away) (Stereo Backing Track) – The Honeys
- I Do (Stereo Mix) – The Castells
- I Do (Stereo Backing Track) – The Castells
- No Go Showboat (Stereo Mix) – The Timers
- No Go Showboat (Stereo Backing Track) – The Timers
MC Lyte, Legend (Omnivore, 2015)
- We Here Now – featuring Mario
- Ball –featuring Lil’ Mama and AV
- Bomb Wild Out –featuring AV
- Dear John – featuring Common and 10Beats
- Last Time – featuring Faith Evans and Coko
- Cravin’ – featuring Stan Carrizosa
- 40 Days – featuring Stayc Reign
- Way Back
- Love on Me – featuring Kenny Lattimore
Various Artists, Live from High Fidelity: The Best of the Podcast Performances Vol. 2 (Omnivore, 2015)
- Live from High Fidelity (Theme) – Sam Phillips
- You Should Be So Lucky – Benmont Tench
- Different Drum – Sean and Sara Watkins
- See How We Are – John Doe
- Where is Bobbie Gentry? – Jill Sobule
- Glyn Johns Quote
- She – Glen Phillips
- Somebody More Like You – Sean and Sara Watkins
- Memories of Mother and Dad – The Haden Triplets
- Here – Pugwash
- Desperately Wanting – Better Than Ezra