Since making his big-screen debut as a writer with the 1982 comedy Fast Times at Ridgemont High, onetime teenaged Rolling Stone scribe Cameron Crowe has made music an integral part of his films - and we're not just talking about Almost Famous! Every one of his movies as writer-director, from 1989's Say Anything... to 2011's We Bought a Zoo, has had its share of musical highlights. His next film, Aloha, should prove to be no exception. On May 26, Legacy Recordings and Madison Gate Records will issue Songs of Aloha, the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack to Sony Pictures' Aloha, due in theatres on May 29.
Aloha tells the story of a military contractor, played by American Sniper and The Elephant Man star Bradley Cooper, who returns to the site of his greatest career triumph - the U.S. Space program in Honolulu, Hawaii. In Hawaii, he reconnects with a past love (Rachel McAdams) but falls for the Air Force watchdog (Emma Stone) assigned to keep an eye on him. Supporting roles are taken by an all-star cast including Alec Baldwin, Bill Murray, John Krasinski and Danny McBride.
The Crowe-curated soundtrack features a typically eclectic blend of music in various genres. Naturally for a film with a Hawaiian setting, tracks have been selected from the islands' rich musical legacy. Artists represented include traditional Hawaiian music greats Genoa Keawe and The Royal Hawaiian Serenaders, and slack-key guitarists Cyril Pahinui, Bobby Ingano and Ledward Kaapana. Classic rockers David Crosby, Fleetwood Mac and Daryl Hall and John Oates also make appearances with "Kids and Dogs," "I Know I'm Not Wrong," and "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)." In a more contemporary vein, Crowe has featured songs from new artists Radical Face and Evening Hymns, singer-songwriters Beck, Josh Ritter, Kurt Vile and The Tallest Man on Earth, and ambient/electronic musicians Jónsi and Alex. Jónsi, of Sigur Rós, previously scored Crowe's 2011 film We Bought a Zoo.
Songs of Aloha is due on May 26 from Legacy Recordings and Madison Gate Records on CD and digital download. It can be pre-ordered at the links below!
Various Artists, Songs of Aloha: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Legacy/Madison Gate) (Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. TBD)
- Hanohano Hanalei - Alfred K. Alohikea
- Tropical Swing - Bobby Ingano
- Alika - Genoa Keawe
- I'll Weave A Lei of Stars For You - The Royal Hawaiian Serenaders
- Slack Key Lullaby (Live at the Nation State of Hawai'i) - Ledward Kaapana
- Ipo Lei Manu - Cyril Pahinui
- Kids and Dogs - David Crosby
- I Know I'm Not Wrong - Fleetwood Mac
- I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) -Daryl Hall & John Oates
- Take My Advice - Kurt Vile
- A Field of Birds (Live at KEXP) - The Tallest Man on Earth
- Midnight Mix - Jónsi & Alex
- Vapour - Vancouver Sleep Clinic
- You and Jake - Evening Hymns
- Come and Find Me - Josh Ritter
- Always Gold - Radical Face
- Let's Go Out Tonight - The Blue Nile
- Heart Is a Drum - Beck
- Shooting Stars - Jónsi & Alex
Leave a Reply