ORIGINAL POST OF APRIL 30 [NEW INFORMATION IN BOLD]: Just two days ago, we brought you the news about Walt Disney Records' latest entry in its Legacy Collection series: Lady and the Tramp. Now, we have a little more information and release information about the next entry in the series, this time devoted to the Happiest Place on Earth: Disneyland!
Disneyland, of course, hardly needs an introduction. Since opening on July 17, 1955, it has become arguably the most famous theme park on the planet and hosts millions of visitors each year. The park also has a rich musical tradition with original songs from the various attractions woven into the fabric of guests' childhoods such as the music from Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, The Enchanted Tiki Room or It's a Small World. (The memorable music for the latter two attractions was provided by the Academy Award-winning team of Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman.) If that were not enough, there has been unique music written for the various performers, parades, and firework shows which have come and gone over the park's six decades.
Timed to coincide with the theme park's 60th anniversary Diamond Celebration beginning next month, The Legacy Collection: Disneyland will be released exclusively at Disneyland itself on May 20 (just two days before the official 60th anniversary festivities begin) and will then go into wide release on August 21.
While a track list has not been released yet, a little more information has been revealed by Walt Disney Records. The set will consist of three CDs and its contents are described as such: "Discs One and Two cover the lands beginning with Main Street U.S.A., Adventureland, Frontierland, New Orleans Square, Critter Country, Fantasyland, Mickey's Toontown and Tomorrowland, plus 5 songs from Disney California Adventure Park. Disc Three features an additional 12 songs from Disney California Adventure Park, plus music from "The Main Street Electrical Parade" and "Fantasmic!"
Disney has been releasing music for Disneyland since nearly the beginning of the park's existence starting with releases in the 1956 devoted to the Disneyland Band and Walt Disney himself giving a tour of the original lands of the park. Since then, there have been dozens upon dozens of releases devoted to Disneyland itself and spreading out to include Walt Disney World, the various international Disney parks and California Adventure. The most comprehensive official look at the music of Disneyland was the impressive six-disc box set from 2005 entitled A Musical History of Disneyland which was released for the park's 50th anniversary. Over the years, a mixture of actual ride soundtracks and specially created musical pieces have been used to put together the various albums. The most recent park-related issue is 2013's 2-CD edition of The Official Album of Disneyland which is still in print and available at the park and online.
This new set is produced by Randy Thornton who has been involved with numerous Disney musical projects including the Disneyland 50th anniversary box. The liner notes are by Disney historian Stacia Martin. The three CDs will come in the usual hardbound CD-size book format of the Legacy Collection. The 24-page book will also feature new artwork inspired by Disneyland from Disney Animation artist Lorelay Bove.
When we originally reported on this collection, we didn't have the tracklisting, but now we do! There are 53 tracks spread over the three CDs. The selection of music runs the gamut from current rides and areas of the park to some attractions which have been closed for decades (Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland) and some which have had their music changed over the years (Space Mountain). There does not appear to be anything unreleased on the set (unless one of the tracks happens to be a new edit - we do not have that information at this time) but the idea seems to be to replicate one of park music collections with a nod to the 60 year history of Disneyland. Producer Randy Thornton of Walt Disney Records has offered his insights regarding the set over at the MagicMusic.net forum!
So, if you are in the mood to relive Disneyland's history in music, or are lucky enough to visit The Happiest Place on Earth after May 20 as part of its 60th anniversary Diamond Celebration, this set might just be for you! We'll update with Amazon links for the general release as soon as they are available.
Various Artists, The Legacy Collection - Disneyland (Walt Disney Records, 2015)
- Walt Disney's Dedication of Disneyland - July 17th, 1955
- All Aboard! (Main Street Station)
- Married Life (Main Street, USA)
- Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln)
- Let's Dance at Disneyland (Plaza Gardens)
- The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room (The Enchanted Tiki Room)
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye (Indiana Jones Adventure)
- Swisskapolka (Swiss Family Treehouse)
- Tarzan Medley (Tarzan's Treehouse)
- Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me) (Pirates of the Caribbean)
- Grim Grinning Ghosts (The Haunted Mansion)
- The Bear Band Serenade (Country Bear Jamboree)
- Splash Mountain Medley (Splash Mountain)
- The Great Outdoors (Country Bear Vacation Hoedown)
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh Medley (The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh)
- Hello Everybody (The Golden Horseshoe Revue)
- The Rainbow Caverns (Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland)
- Once Upon a Dream (King Arthur Carousel)
- The Fantasyland Darkride Suite (Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland)
- Matterhorn Yodelers (Matterhorn Bobsleds)
- It's a Small World Clock Parade (It's a Small World)
- It's a Small World (It's a Small World)
- Steamboat Willie (Mickey's Toontown)
- Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin)
- Nation on Wheels (People Mover)
- Miracles from Molecules (Adventures Through Inner Space)
- Star Tours (Star Tours)
- There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (The Carousel of Progress)
- Space Mountain - Aarin J. Richard Theme (Space Mountain)
- Buzz Lightyear's Astro-Blasters (Buzz Lightyear's Astro-Blasters)
- Submarine Voyage (Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage)
- The Throne Room (Star Tours - The Adventure Continues)
- Honey, I Shrunk the Audience Theme (Honey, I Shrunk the Audience)
- Space Mountain - Michael Giacchino Theme (Space Mountain)
- Suitcase and a Dream (Buena Vista Street)
- Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf (Carthay Circle)
- Mike and Sulley to the Rescue (Monsters Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue)
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Theme (The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror)
- Soarin' (Soarin' Over California)
- The Bakery Theme (The Boudin Bakery)
- A Bug's Life Suite (A Bug's Land)
- Beauty and The Bees (Beauty and the Beast) (It's Tough to Be a Bug!)
- It's Tough to Be a Bug (It's Tough to Be a Bug!)
- The Little Mermaid Medley (The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure)
- Seasons of the Vine Medley (Pacific Wharf)
- Midway Mania (Toy Story Midway Mania!)
- The Cleaner (Toy Story Midway Mania!)
- California Screamin' (California Screamn')
- Welcome to Radiator Springs (Radiator Springs)
- Funiculi Funicula (Luigi's Flying Tires)
- Radiator Springs Racers (Radiator Springs Racers)
- The Main Street Electrical Parade (The Main Street Electrical Parade)
- Fantasmic! (Fantasmic!)