Rounder Records, the pioneering American roots music label, is in the midst of its 45th anniversary celebration. Over the past months, the Cambridge-founded, Nashville-based Rounder has been making titles from its deep catalogue available as digital downloads. Last month, the label threw a Mardi Gras party with digital reissues of R&B, blues, jazz and Cajun music of the Crescent City. This month, the 51-time Grammy-winning Rounder - since 2010 under the umbrella of the Concord Music Group - will turn its attention to the varied world of bluegrass and the label's rich legacy with the genre.
Original albums and compilations alike comprise the titles available digitally from Rounder this month. Among the remarkable titles featured are releases from luminaries past and present like Bela Fleck, Del McCoury, Doc Watson, John Hartford, The Louvin Brothers, Ralph Stanley and The Clinch Mountain Boys, and The Stanley Brothers.
Another set of bluegrass-themed releases will arrive on digital platforms in August from Rounder. In the meantime, you can peruse the list of currently-available titles below, and corresponding Amazon U.S. links. Watch this space for information on more releases from the Rounder 45th initiative! A free 15-track Rounder digital sampler is still available at NoiseTrade, and you can read more about Rounder's history here!
- Hazel Dickens & Alice Gerrard, Hazel Dickens and Alice Gerrard
- Nashville Bluegrass Band (compilation)
- Tony Trischka & Bela Fleck, Solo Banjo Works
- The Lynn Morris Band, The Bramble & The Rose
- The Del McCoury Band, Blue Side of Town
- The Johnson Mountain Boys, Blue Diamond
- The Cox Family, Everybody's Reaching Out for Someone
- Connie & Babe and the Backwoods Boys, Down the Road to Home
- Ronnie & Rob McCoury, Ronnie & Rob McCoury
- The Doc Watson Family, Tradition
- Bobby Osborne and The Rocky Top X-Press, Bluegrass Melodies
- The Clinch Mountain Boys & Ralph Stanley, Can't You Hear the Mountains Calling
- John Hartford, Good'le Days: Essential Recordings
- The Louvin Brothers, Songs That Tell a Story
- The Stanley Brothers, Earliest Recordings: The Complete Rich-R-Tone 78s (1947-1952)
- James King, Bed by the Window
- Rob Ickes, Slide City
- Dry Branch Fire Squad, Memories That Bless and Burn
- The Bluegrass Album Band, Lonesome Moonlight: Songs of Bill Monroe