Jones’ tenure on Island Records has been the subject of some fascinating reissues in recent years. Her 1981 masterpiece Nightclubbing was expanded in 2014, and the following year saw the release of Disco, a box set compiling her first three albums with producer Tom Moulton, released between 1977 and 1979.
Warm Leatherette is the latest link in that chain–her fourth record and her first of three recorded at Compass Point Studios in Nassau, The Bahamas. Working with a sensational team that included producers/engineers/mixers Chris Blackwell and Alex Sadkin, keyboardist Wally Badarou and the immortal rhythm section of Sly and Robbie, Jones fused R&B, New Wave, disco and reggae into a formula that would influence the general sound of pop music for generations. With unorthodox covers of The Pretenders (“Private Life”), Tom Petty (“Breakdown”), Smokey Robinson (“The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game”) and Roxy Music (“Love is the Drug”), Warm Leatherette became the first act in Jones’ incredible ’80s career, as a singer, actress, muse and all-around icon.
Universal’s pulling out all the stops for this reissue, offering 2CD and 4LP sets as well as a high-definition Blu-ray Pure Audio release. Longtime fans will note that the original album has never truly been released on CD, its truncated running time expanded on CD and cassette by replacing five of the eight original tracks with extended remixes. Now, this expansive set includes the original LP running time alongside the five extended mixes plus a further 14 long versions, remixes and edits, including rare dubs from the Private Life: The Compass Point Years compilation, two remixes by Paul “Groucho” Smykle commissioned for the Island Life compilation in 1985-1986 and three unreleased tracks!
Packaged handsomely in a custom box with bespoke leatherette packaging, Warm Leatherette looks to be a killer purchase for fans of ’80s pop. It will also be prefaced by a special 12″ reissue of “Private Life,” backed with its original B-side, a non-LP cover of Joy Division’s “She’s Lost Control,” on Record Store Day, Saturday, April 16.
The full set is out June 17, and you can find the track list below (along with Amazon links when available–the set is currently orderable through Universal’s uDiscover store on CD as well as on Blu-ray Pure Audio.
Grace Jones, Warm Leatherette: Deluxe Edition (Island/UMC (U.K.), 2016)
Original LP (Island Records ILPS 9592, 1980)
- Warm Leatherette
- Private Life
- A Rolling Stone
- Love is the Drug
- The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game
- Warm Leatherette (12″ B-side – Island 12WIP 6645, 1980)
- Private Life (12″ A-side – Island 12WIP 6629, 1980)
- A Rolling Stone (12″ A-side – Island 12WIP 6591, 1980)
- Love is the Drug (12″ A-side – Island 600.198 (DE), 1980)
- The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game (12″ A-side – Island 12WIP 6645, 1980)
- Pars (from Private Life: The Compass Point Sessions – Island 314 524 501-2, 1998)
Tracks 9-10 and 12-13 first issued on cassette edition of album (Island Records ICT 9592, 1980)
Long versions, single versions and remixes
- Private Life (Long Version #2) *
- Private Life (Dub Version) (from Private Life: The Compass Point Sessions – Island 314 524 501-2, 1998)
- She’s Lost Control (Long Version) (12″ B-side – Island 12WIP 6629, 1980)
- She’s Lost Control (Dub Version) (from Private Life: The Compass Point Sessions – Island 314 524 501-2, 1998)
- Love is the Drug (Single Version) (7″ A-side – Island 101.819 (DE), 1980)
- Private Life (Single Version) (7″ A-side – Island WIP 6629, 1980)
- She’s Lost Control (Single Version) (7″ B-side – Island WIP 6629, 1980)
- The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game (Special Single Version) (7″ B-side – Island WIP 6645, 1980)
- Breakdown (Single Edit) (7″ A-side – Island IS-49603 (U.S.), 1980)
- Pars (4:22 Single Version) *
- Pars (Dub Version) *
- Love is the Drug (12″ Single Remix) (12″ A-side – Island 12IS 266, 1986)
- Private Life (12″ Single Remix) (12″ A-side – Island 12IS 273, 1986)
(*) denotes previously unreleased track