This Friday, Cherry Red Records' Cherry Pop imprint will celebrate the quintessential '80s pop band A Flock of Seagulls with a new double-CD set collecting 27 Remixes and Rarities.
Born in Yorkshire and raised in Liverpool, brothers Mike and Ali Score formed the classic line-up of A Flock of Seagulls late in 1979 with bassist Frank Maudsley, who had previously played in a band with Mike, and lead guitarist Paul Reynolds. Soon, Mike was leaving his hairdressing business and Ali his life as an electrician, as the group found its own place in the Liverpool pop firmament. Moreover, the group found international success, lighting up the charts in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, The Netherlands, and New Zealand, as well as at home and in the United States.
Though "Telecommunication" from the band's 1981 debut album failed to chart in the U.K., it made a top 20 splash on the U.S. Dance chart, and crossover successes were to follow. A Flock of Seagulls' third single, "I Ran (So Far Away)," was plucked from their debut and became their most successful single. Aided by an era-defining music video that received heavy airplay on the fledgling MTV, "I Ran" topped the Australian chart, and made it to No. 9 in the U.S. on the Hot 100 as well as No. 8 on the Dance chart. Before the 1980s were out, A Flock of Seagulls - having endured various personnel changes and even a temporary break-up - had released four full-length albums, won a Grammy Award (for the instrumental "D.N.A.") and charted four singles on the Hot 100 and eight on the U.K. Pop chart. A fifth and final (to date) album emerged in 1995.
These eighties single-chart mainstays naturally released a number of versions of their songs not previously collected in one place. That changes with Cherry Pop's Remixes and Rarities. This 2-CD collection offer 27 tracks culled from A Flock of Seagulls' first four albums originally released on the Jive label. These rare versions encompass 7-inch and 12-inch singles, remixes, live tracks, instrumentals, and more from the prime period of A Flock of Seagulls' success.
All tracks on Remixes and Rarities have been remastered by Dave Turner, and the set also includes a 16-page full-color booklet with brief liner notes reprinted from a 1982 interview, song lyrics, and a U.K. discography including original albums, singles, and even compilations. Remixes and Rarities is an essential companion to the core album reissues previously released by Cherry Red. It's available this Friday in the U.K., and one week later in the U.S., and you'll find order links below!
A Flock of Seagulls, Remixes and Rarities (Cherry Pop CRPOPD 179, 2017) (Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada)
- I Ran (So Far Away) (U.S. 7-Inch Single Version) (Jive VS 102, 1982)
- Space Age Love Song (7-Inch Version) (JIVE 17, 1982)
- Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You) (7-Inch Version) (JIVE 25, 1982)
- Nightmares (7-Inch Version) (JIVE 33, 1983)
- Rosenmontag (Shorter Version) (JIVE 33, 1983)
- Transfer Affection (7-Inch Version) (JIVE 41, 1983)
- I Ran (So Far Away) (Live) (TBD)
- (It's Not Me) Talking (7-Inch Version) (Jive 47, 1983)
- Never Again (7-Inch Version) (Jive 78, 1984)
- Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You) (Long Version) (JIVE T 25, 1982)
- Nightmares (12-Inch Version) (Jive JIVET 33, 1983)
- Committed (Short Version) (JIVE T 25, 1982)
- The Traveller (Live) (JIVE T 47, 1983)
- The More You Like, The More You Love (Full Moon Mix) (included on The Story of a Heart, Cherry Pop CR POP 5, 2008)
- I Ran (So Far Away) (Longer Version) (TBD)
- Never Again (The Dancer) (12-Inch Version) (JIVE T 78, 1984)
- Heartbeat Like a Drum (Full Length Version) (JIVE 113, 1986)
- Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You) (U.S. Edit 12-Inch Promo Version) (Jive VJ 12014, 1983)
- The Last Flight of Yuri Gargarin (Full Length Version) (JIVE T 33, 1983)
- Rosenmontag (Long Version) (JIVE T 33, 1983)
- Nightmares (U.S. 12-Inch Promo Version) (Jive JD 1 9061, 1983)
- I Ran (So Far Away) (Edited Version) (TBD)
- Never Again (The Dancer) (Remix) (JIVE T 78, 1984)
- Space Age Love Song (Live) (TBD)
- Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You) (Short Version) (JIVE T 25, 1982)
- Who's That Girl (She's Got It) (Instrumental) (JIVE 106, 1985)
- Single Medley (JIVE 106, 1985)
Wow that's a lot of edited/short versions across the two cds of remixes and rarities.
This could easily have been a one x cd product.
That has got to be the worst cover art, ever.
I'm sure I have most of their work, but There a lot of edits I'm unfamiliar with.
Probably end up getting this as Tim says this could easily have been one disc.
Is it just me or does that seem to be Grace Jones' face on that art cover?
This is an excellent collection. Many tracks here are on cd for the first time in their respective versions. There's still some stuff missing probably because of lack of space or appropriate master tapes being unavailable. Anyway we may never get another collection like this, so grab it while you can. Yes the album artwork could've been better!