Cherry Pop will reissue an expanded edition of Matt Bianco’s self-titled sophomore album this week, with a dazzling array of bonus tracks.
Released in 1986, Matt Bianco introduced a new line-up of the U.K.-based continental jazz-pop group; vocalist Basia and keyboardist Danny White had both left the group (the duo would collaborate on every Basia solo album afterward); vocalist Mark Reilly subsequently recruited Mark Fisher, who’d played keyboards for Wham!, to share creative responsibilities in the band. Vocalist Jenni Fisher was added for an extra spark, though she left the band before the release of Matt Bianco.
The album’s more contemporary, synth-driven sound (augmented and recreated by a 13-piece band on the subsequent tour!) helped the record out-chart its predecessor, putting lead single “Yeh Yeh” (a cover of the Georgie Fame chart-topper) into the U.K. Top 20. Reilly and Fisher continued to record and tour as Matt Bianco until a one-off reunion with Basia and White in 2003; Fisher joined afterward and continued to work with Reilly until his passing in 2016.
The deluxe edition of Matt Bianco, which like previous Cherry Pop-released expansions of Basia and Matt Bianco’s work was produced for release by Vinny Vero, is an all-out release that’ll have you dancing in the street! This two-disc affair includes the remastered original album as it appeared on CD, appended with another seven single versions and B-sides. The bonus disc includes another 14 remixes and live tracks, all of which are either released here for the first time or making their debut on CD. Highlights include an undiscovered extended version of “It’s Getting Late” (from the band’s debut Whose Side Are You On?) that was potentially earmarked for a B-side release, several live rarities and every mix of “Love Situation,” the one-off single released by Mark Fisher and vocalist Dotty Green the year before he joined the band.
The package is rounded out by generous liner notes, including two pages by Bill Pitzonka, notes on the album cover from Reilly and sleeve painter Haydn Cottam and reflections from album producer Phil Harding. It’s a must-own for any fan of classy British pop of the ’80s–and it’s available in U.K. shops this Friday, October 27, with a worldwide release date a week later on November 3. Pre-order your copy and check out the track list below!
Matt Bianco: Deluxe Edition (Cherry Pop WCRPOPD188 (U.K.), 2017)
* previously unreleased ** previously unreleased on CD
Disc 1: Original album (released as WEA WX 35 (U.K.)/Atlantic 81659 (U.S.), 1986) and bonus tracks
- Yeh Yeh (12″ Dance Mix)
- Dancing In The Street
- Fly By Night
- I Wonder
- Just Can’t Stand It
- Summer Song
- Sweetest Love Affair
- Up Front
- Yeh Yeh (Single Version) (single A-side – WEA YZ 46, 1986)
- Up Front (Single Version) (B-side to “Just Can’t Stand It” – WEA YZ 62, 1986) **
- More Than I Can Bear (Re-Recorded Version) (U.S. single A-side – Atlantic 7-89359, 1986)
- Undercover (7″ Version) *
- Smooth (Extra Smooth) (12″ B-side – WEA YZ 46T, 1986) **
- Undercover (Maximum K Mix) (12″ A-side – WEA YZ 62T, 1986) **
- Dancing In The Street (Dance Mix) (12″ A-side – WEA YZ 72T, 1986)
Disc 2: Additional bonus tracks
- Undercover (12″ Version) *
- It’s Getting Late (Extended Version) *
- Dancing In The Street (Dub) *
- Dancing In The Street (Instrumental) (12″ B-side – WEA YZ 72T, 1986) **
- Dancing In The Street (Medley Megamix) (12″ A-side – WEA YZ 72TE, 1986) **
- Just Can’t Stand It (Live) (B-side to “Dancing In The Street” – WEA YZ 72, 1986) **
- Get Out of Your Lazy Bed (Live) (B-side to “Undercover” – WEA 248 525-7 (DE), 1986) **
- I Need It (Live) (12″ B-side to “Undercover” – WEA 248 524-0 (DE), 1986) **
- Up Front (Live) (12″ B-side to “Undercover” – WEA 248 524-0 (DE), 1986) **
- Love Situation (7″ Version) – Mark Fisher feat. Dotty Green (single A-side – Total Control Records TOCO 3, 1985) **
- Love Situation (Broadway Mix – (Tooting)) – Mark Fisher feat. Dotty Green (12″ A-side – Total Control Records 12 TOCO 3, 1985) **
- Love Situation (Dub) – Mark Fisher feat. Dotty Green (12″ B-side – Total Control Records 12 TOCO 3, 1985) **
- Love Situation (Remix) – Mark Fisher feat. Dotty Green (12″ A-side – Total Control Records 12 TOCOX 3, 1985) **
- Love Situation (Instrumental) – Mark Fisher feat. Dotty Green (12″ B-side – Total Control Records 12 TOCOX 3, 1985) **