The celebration for Elvis Presley’s ’68 “comeback special” is continuing into the new year. Legacy Recordings and RCA have announced a new single-CD collection to coincide with an upcoming NBC-TV tribute to the original December 1968 broadcast.
The Best of the ’68 Comeback Special, coming on February 15, features highlights from the recent ’68 Comeback Special box set with performances culled from both of the “stand-up” and “sit-down” shows recorded in June, 1968 for the special. Additionally, the new release includes the single versions of “Memories,” “Suspicious Minds,” and “Burning Love.” While only “Memories” was included in the original program, all three songs will be performed on NBC’s Elvis: All-Star Tribute.
Airing on February 17, the show is hosted by Blake Shelton, and boasts performances of classic Elvis tunes from Shawn Mendes, Keith Urban, Post Malone, John Fogerty, Ed Sheeran, Kelsea Ballerini, Jennifer Lopez, Darius Rucker, Alessia Cara, “Memories” songwriter Mac Davis, John Legend, Little Big Town, Adam Lambert, Pistol Annies, Carrie Underwood, Yolanda Adams, Dierks Bentley and Josh Groban. The tribute also promises rare footage from the making of the original special; interviews with Priscilla Presley and producer-director Steve Binder; plus a special appearance by Lisa Marie Presley. The Best of the ’68 Comeback Special is rounded out with a group finale of “If I Can Dream” on which Elvis is joined by Carrie Underwood, Shawn Mendes, Post Malone, Darius Rucker, and Blake Shelton.
Finally, Walmart will offer an exclusive CD/DVD edition, adding the original comeback special on DVD. Look for The Best of the ’68 Comeback Special from RCA/Legacy on February 15 at the links below!
The Best Of The ’68 Comeback Special (RCA/Legacy, 2018)
Walmart Exclusive CD/DVD: Walmart.com [currently in-store only]
- Trouble/Guitar Man (Opening)
- Heartbreak Hotel (First “Stand-Up” Show)
- Hound Dog (Second “Stand-Up” Show)
- All Shook Up (Second “Stand-Up” Show)
- Can’t Help Falling In Love (Second “Stand-Up” Show)
- Jailhouse Rock (Second “Stand-Up” Show)
- Don’t Be Cruel (First “Stand-Up” Show)
- Blue Suede Shoes (Second “Sit-Down” Show)
- Baby, What You Want Me To Do (First “Stand-Up” Show)
- Are You Lonesome Tonight? (First “Sit-Down” Show)
- One Night (Second “Sit-Down” Show)
- Love Me Tender (First “Stand-Up” Show)
- Trying To Get To You (Second “Sit-Down” Show)
- Love Me (Second “Sit-Down” Show)
- A Little Less Conversation
- Suspicious Minds
- Burning Love
- If I Can Dream – Elvis Presley, Carrie Underwood, Shawn Mendes, Post Malone, Darius Rucker, Blake Shelton
Tracks 1-15 from the original ’68 comeback show taping
Tracks 16-18 from original singles
Track 19 from Elvis All-Star Tribute