It's time to break out the piña coladas. This Friday, the long-running NOW series will release its second volume of NOW That's What I Call Yacht Rock. This collection of classic songs in the "yacht rock" genre - think: seventies and early eighties soft rock with memorable melodies, sparkling productions, and plenty of saxophones - arrives on CD and in digital/streaming formats, with a 2-LP vinyl set arriving on July 3.
With eighteen songs, NOW That's What I Call Yacht Rock 2 boasts return appearances from many favorite artists featured on the initial volume, including Kenny Loggins (joined by Stevie Nicks for "Whenever I Call You Friend," co-written by Loggins and Melissa Manchester), Michael McDonald ("I Keep Forgettin'"), Toto ("I'll Be Over You"), and Little River Band ("Reminiscing"). They're joined by Seals & Crofts ("Summer Breeze"), Chicago ("If You Leave Me Now"), Elvin Bishop ("Fooled Around and Fell in Love"), Paul Davis ("I Go Crazy"), Gerry Rafferty ("Baker Street"), REO Speedwagon ("Keep on Loving You"), Captain and Tennille ("Love Will Keep Us Together"), and other hitmakers. Stevie Nicks makes a second appearance here along with her then-Fleetwood Mac bandmate Lindsey Buckingham on Walter Egan's 1978 hit "Magnet and Steel," co-produced by Buckingham. Some of the more surprising but still appropriately mellow choices include Gordon Lightfoot's 1974 folk-pop chart-topper "Sundown" and Santana's 1982 cover of Ian Thomas' "Hold On." (Yacht rock connoisseurs might still lament the absence of format staples by artists such as Christopher Cross, The Doobie Brothers, and Steely Dan, presumably missing for licensing reasons.)
With COVID-19 delaying the start of the baseball season, SiriusXM has been airing its popular Yacht Rock station on a channel typically used for sports coverage. The sunshine sounds and shimmering productions of yacht rock clearly can't come too soon. Look for NOW That's What I Call Yacht Rock 2 in stores this Friday on CD from Universal and Sony. The digital release also happens Friday, while vinyl follows on July 3. You'll find pre-order links and the full track listing below.
- Kenny Loggins featuring Stevie Nicks, "Whenever I Call You Friend"
- Michael McDonald, "I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)"
- Gerry Rafferty, "Baker Street"
- Chicago, "If You Leave Me Now"
- REO Speedwagon, "Keep On Loving You"
- Air Supply, "All Out of Love"
- Eric Carmen, "All By Myself"
- Paul Davis, "I Go Crazy"
- Toto, "I'll Be Over You"
- Little River Band, "Reminiscing"
- Seals & Crofts, "Summer Breeze"
- Gordon Lightfoot, "Sundown"
- Elvin Bishop, "Fooled Around and Fell in Love"
- Atlanta Rhythm Section, "So Into You"
- Walter Egan, "Magnet and Steel"
- Exile, "Kiss You All Over" (1986 version)
- Captain & Tennille, "Love Will Keep Us Together"
- Santana, "Hold On"