Real Gone Music has that holiday feeling with its upcoming slate of three joyful titles for the Christmas season. The label has just announced two deluxe CD releases along with one beautiful vinyl title that's sure to keep spirits bright. All three titles are due November 11.
First up is a definitive, expanded, and remastered edition of Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme's 1964 Columbia Records classic That Holiday Feeling. After more than a decade of representing Steve and Eydie's GL Music catalogue, Real Gone is proud to announce a new partnership with their son David Lawrence and his wife Faye to revisit and re-present their classic discography. That Holiday Feeling kicks things off in jubilant fashion. Produced by Robert Mersey (Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis) and arranged by a "Who's Who" including Don Costa, Billy Byers, Patrick Williams, and Glenn Osser, That Holiday Feeling is one of the happiest, most cheerful Christmas albums of all time. It features Steve and Eydie wrapping their distinctive voices around both original songs ("That Holiday Feeling," "Let Me Be the First to Wish You Merry Christmas") and Christmas favorites ("Sleigh Ride," "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!"), all rendered in bright, swinging style.
Real Gone's upcoming edition adds eight bonus tracks including all three of Steve and Eydie's songs from the 1969 RCA album Christmastime in Carol and Song on which they were supported by the orchestra and chorus of renowned conductor Arthur Fiedler (Steve's "Go Tell It on the Mountain," Eydie's "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear," and Steve and Eydie's "Hurry Home for Christmas"); their early duet of Frank Loesser's "Baby, It's Cold Outside;" Steve's take on "White Christmas" (Eydie's exquisite rendition is heard on the original album); Steve's never-before-on-CD "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" and "The First Noel;" and Eydie's brassy "My Favorite Things." It adds up to the ultimate Steve and Eydie Christmas celebration. David Lawrence has written a new introduction, and TSD's Joe Marchese provides the liner notes for the expanded booklet which also includes rare photos of the famous pair. The album has been remastered and restored from the original stereo tapes under the supervision of David Lawrence.
Christmas music was a major part of the discography of pop legend B.J. Thomas. Real Gone is proud to present the first-ever expanded and remastered edition of his 1997 Warner Resound album Christmas Is Coming Home, reissued just in time for its 25th anniversary. Recorded in Nashville with the city's top session musicians and guest vocalists including Michael McDonald, Kathy Troccoli, Jonathan Pierce, and Tabitha Fair, the album found Thomas wrapping his unmistakable pipes around original songs ("When Christmas Comes This Year," "Christmas Is Coming Home"), contemporary standards ("Grown-Up Christmas List," "Tennessee Christmas"), and a moving rendition of "Silent Night," all capturing the majesty and beauty of the season.
Six bonus tracks (five of which are previously unreleased) have been added to the original album including session outtakes, a stirring version of "Precious Lord, Take My Hand," and an intimate demo of an original Christmas song by Archie Jordan, "When Love Was Born." The deluxe package designed by John Sellards includes rare photos of BJ and an essay by TSD's Joe Marchese drawing on previously unpublished quotes from the late artist. Ted Carfrae has remastered all audio from the original tapes.
UPDATE: Unfortunately, the B.J. Thomas release has been removed from the schedule due to unforeseen issues with some of the bonus material. Please watch this space for any further updates.
Last up on the Real Gone slate is a vinyl premiere from the "greatest star" currently headlining Broadway's Funny Girl, Lea Michele. The Glee star's 2019 album Christmas in the City not only placed within the top thirty of the Billboard 200 upon its original release, but reached No. 3 on the Christmas Albums chart. The album, blending contemporary and retro holiday sounds, was produced by Alex and Adam Anders and features a host of guest singers including Michele's Spring Awakening co-star (and the voice of Kristoff in the Frozen franchise), Jonathan Groff, Color Purple star Cynthia Erivo, and Glee co-star Darren Criss. Real Gone's vinyl debut from this showstopping artist is pressed on "snow white" vinyl and is limited to 1,500 units. It's housed in a gatefold jacket adorned with photos of Michele at her most festive.
All three releases can be pre-ordered now and are due from Real Gone Music on November 11!
- That Holiday Feeling
- White Christmas
- Winter Wonderland
- The Christmas Song
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
- Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town
- Sleigh Ride
- Let Me Be the First to Wish You Merry Christmas
- Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
- What Are You Doing New Year's Eve
- That Ol' Christmas Spirit
- Happy Holiday
- The First Noel (Steve) (previously unreleased)
- Baby It's Cold Outside (Steve and Eydie) (from We Got Us, ABC-Paramount ABCS-300, 1960)
- Go Tell It on the Mountain (Steve) (from Christmastime in Carol and Song/Christmas in New York Vol. 3, RCA PRS 288/289, 1969)
- My Favorite Things (Eydie) (from Sings the Great Songs from The Sound of Music and Other Broadway Hits, Columbia CS 9100, 1964)
- White Christmas (Steve) (from Eydie & Steve Sing the Golden Hits, ABC-Paramount ABCS-311, 1960)
- It Came upon a Midnight Clear (Eydie) (from Christmastime in Carol and Song/Christmas in New York Vol. 3, RCA PRS 288/289, 1969)
- Hurry Home for Christmas (Steve and Eydie) (from Christmastime in Carol and Song/Christmas in New York Vol. 3, RCA PRS 288/289, 1969)
- 'Twas the Night Before Christmas (Steve) (from Great Songs of Christmas Album Seven, Columbia Special Products CSP CSS 547, 1967)
B.J. Thomas, Christmas Is Coming Home: 25th Anniversary Expanded Edition (Warner Resound 9 46689-2, 1997 - reissued Real Gone Music, 2022) (Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada / Real Gone Music)
- When Christmas Comes This Year
- Be It Unto Me
- Christmas Is Coming Home (Duet with Kathy Troccoli)
- Tennessee Christmas
- On This Holy, Holy Night (Duet with Jonathan Pierce)
- Wake Up It's Christmas Morning
- Take a Walk Through Bethlehem
- Let There Be Peace on Earth (Duet with Tabitha Fair)
- Precious Promise
- Grown-Up Christmas
- Silent Night
Bonus Tracks (all previously unreleased except Track 12)
- Strange Way to Save the World (from The Way in a Manger, Warner Resound 9 46750-2, 1997)
- Christmas Is Christmas
- Merry Christmas, Baby
- To Be Loved
- Precious Lord Take My Hand
- When Love Was Born
- It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
- Christmas in New York
- I'll Be Home for Christmas (featuring Jonathan Groff)
- Do You Want to Build a Snowman?
- Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
- Silent Night
- White Christmas (featuring Darren Criss)
- Silver Bells
- Angels We Have Heard on High (featuring Cynthia Erivo)
- O Holy Night