The Vietnamese Lunar New Year identifies 2023 as The Year of the Cat...and the timing couldn't be better! On September 8, Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records will unveil a definitive, first-ever singles collection from legendary singer-songwriter Al Stewart.
In 1976, Stewart took the beguiling "Year of the Cat" to the top ten of the Pop and AC charts, inaugurating a run of timeless hits still heard on radio today in formats from classic rock to pop and yacht rock. Now, for the very first time, each and every one of the British troubadour's seminal A- and B-sides from his halcyon period has been brought together. Songs on the Radio: The Complete U.S. Singles 1974-1981 brings together 20 tracks which catapulted the artist from folk clubs to the mainstream.
Often in collaboration with producer-engineer Alan Parsons, Stewart bridged the gap between FM rock and AM pop. He brought his passion for historical events and flair for lyrical invention to these remarkable singles originally issued on the Janus and Arista labels, including "Nostradamus," "Carol," "On the Border," "Midnight Rocks," "Year of the Cat," "Song on the Radio," and the record-breaking, chart-topping "Time Passages." And the B-sides ("Terminal Eyes," "Sirens of Titan," "A Man for All Seasons," "Merlin's Time") are every bit as compelling as the A-sides.
Every track on Songs on the Radio: The Complete U.S. Singles 1974-1981 is presented in its original U.S. single version. Every one of these A-sides is a unique single mix, version, or edit, and most are new to CD (and not even included on Stewart's massive The Admiralty Lights box set). Everything has been newly remastered by Mike Milchner at SonicVision. The deluxe 20-page booklet designed by John Sellards features Joe Marchese's extensive interview with Al Stewart as well as rare photos and memorabilia. As a special bonus, the unique RCA U.K. single edit of Al's signature song "Year of the Cat" is also included.
With vivid lyrics, captivating melodies, crisp guitars, and, yes, smooth saxophone, these Songs on the Radio celebrate the extraordinary discography of a master musical storyteller who's still playing many of these songs in concert today. This CD release is strictly limited to just 2,500 units - and they're bound to go fast! Look for it on September 8 from Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records. You'll find the track listing below!
- Nostradamus (Janus J 243-A, 1974)
- Terminal Eyes (Janus J 243-B, 1974)
- Carol (Janus J 250-A, 1975)
- Sirens of Titan (Janus J 250-B, 1975)
- Year of the Cat (Janus J 266-A, 1976)
- Broadway Hotel (Janus J 266-B, 1976)
- On the Border (Janus J 267-A, 1977)
- Flying Sorcery (Janus J 267-B, 1977)
- Time Passages (Arista AS 0362-A, 1978)
- Almost Lucy (Arista AS 0362-B, 1978)
- Song on the Radio (Arista AS 0389-A, 1978)
- A Man for All Seasons (Arista AS 0389-B, 1978)
- Midnight Rocks (Arista AS 0552-A, 1980)
- Constantinople (Arista AS 0552-B, 1980)
- Paint by Numbers (Arista AS 0576-A, 1980)
- Optical Illusion (Arista AS 0576-B, 1980)
- Running Man (Arista AS 0585-A, 1981)
- Merlin's Time (Arista AS 0585-B, 1981)
- Indian Summer (Arista AS 0639-A, 1981)
- Soho (Needless to Say) (Arista AS 0639-B, 1981)
- Year of the Cat (RCA U.K. 2771, 1976) (3:23) (Bonus Track)