UPDATE 3/22: You can now order this box set through Hip-o Select here.
We have some more info on the aforementioned Impulse! Records box set coming from Universal in April, thanks to our friends at Record Racks.
As previously mentioned, First Impulse: The Creed Taylor Collection 50th Anniversary box is going to compile the label's first six LPs by the likes of Kai Winding, Gil Evans, Ray Charles and John Coltrane, all of which were produced by label founder Taylor, along with rare and unreleased material across four discs. We now have the track list for your perusal.
The set is in mostly chronological order across the first three discs; the Kai Winding LPs, the first and third for the label, are combined onto one disc, with the rest following chronologically. The fourth disc collects the mono single version of Ray Charles' "One Mint Julep," a Gil Evans bonus track, all of the alternate takes from Coltrane's Africa/Brass sessions (previously released as a 1974 LP and a 1995 deluxe set) and three previously unreleased rehearsal takes of Coltrane's. All in all, not a bad set for jazz fans.
The box is set for release April 19. Hit the jump for the full rundown!
Various Artists, First Impulse: The Creed Taylor Collection 50th Anniversary (Impulse!/UMe, 2011)
Disc 1: J.J. Johnson & Kai Winding, The Great Kai & J.J. / Kai Winding, The Incredible Kai Winding Trombones
- This Could Be the Start of Something
- Georgia on My Mind
- Blue Monk
- Alone Together
- Side by Side
- I Concentrate on You
- Moonglow/Theme from "Picnic"
- Going, Going, Gong!
- Just for a Thrill
- Speak Low
- Lil Darlin'
- Love Walked In
- Black Coffee
- Bye, Bye, Blackbird
- Michie (Slow)
- Michie (Fast)
Disc 2: Ray Charles, Genius + Soul = Jazz / The Gil Evans Orchestra, Out of the Cool
- From the Heart
- I've Got News for You
- Let's Go
- One Mint Julep
- I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town
- Stompin' Room Only
- Mister C
- Strike Up the Band
- Birth of the Blues
- La Nevada
- Where Flamingos Fly
- Bilbao Song
- Sunken Treasure
Disc 3: Oliver Nelson, Blues and the Abstract Truth / The John Coltrane Quartet, Africa/Brass
- Stolen Moments
- Butch and Butch
- Teenie's Blues
- Blues Minor
Disc 4: Bonus Tracks
- One Mint Juelp (Mono Single Version) - Ray Charles
- Sister Sadie - The Gil Evans Orchestra
- Song Of The Underground Railroad - The John Coltrane Quartet
- Greensleeves (Alternate Take) - The John Coltrane Quartet
- The Damned Don't Cry - The John Coltrane Quartet
- Africa (First Version) - The John Coltrane Quartet
- Africa (Alternate Take) - The John Coltrane Quartet
- Laura (Rehearsal Version) - Africa/Brass Rehearsal Band Featuring John Coltrane And Cal Massey
- Nakatine Serenade (Slow Version) - Africa/Brass Rehearsal Band Featuring John Coltrane And Cal Massey
- The Damned Don't Cry (Rehearsal Version) - Africa/Brass Rehearsal Band Featuring John Coltrane And Cal Massey
Disc 1, Tracks 1-11 released as Impulse! LP A-1, 1961
Disc 1, Tracks 12-21 released as Impulse! LP A-3, 1961
Disc 2, Tracks 1-10 released as Impulse! LP A-2, 1961
Disc 2, Tracks 11-15 released as Impulse! LP A-4, 1961
Disc 3, Tracks 1-6 released as Impulse! LP A-5, 1961
Disc 3, Tracks 7-9 released as Impulse! LP A-6, 1961
Disc 4, Track 1 released as Impulse! single A-side 45-200, 1961
Disc 4, Track 2 first released as bonus track on The Dedication Series Vol. IX: The Great Arrangers - Impulse IA 9340-2, 1978
Disc 4, Tracks 3-4 and 7 released as Africa/Brass Sessions, Vol. 2 - Impulse AS 9273, 1974
Disc 4, Tracks 5-6 released on The Complete Africa/Brass Sessions - Impulse IMPD 2-168, 1995
Disc 4, Tracks 8-10 previously unreleased