Although this August 16 will mark the 35th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death, the musical light left behind by the once and future King of Rock and Roll has never dimmed. 2012 has already seen the expanded reissue of Elvis Country, including the Love Letters from Elvis album, and a handful of reissues from the Follow That Dream specialty label. (More titles are on the way from FTD including a long-awaited, upgraded collection of Presley's Sun recordings: watch for Part Two for more details!) Another release due on July 31 will also celebrate the long-lasting legacy of Tupelo, Mississippi's favorite son.
Between May 1 and 12, over 250,000 votes were cast at www.iamanelvisfan.com from fans in over twenty countries to create the track listing for I Am an Elvis Fan. The first U.S. fan-voted album from Presley, I Am an Elvis Fan is a project of Sony's Legacy Recordings and Elvis Presley Enterprises. The 21-track collection will be released in both digital and physical formats on July 31. It coincides with Elvis Week, a tribute being held in Memphis between August 10 and 17 to commemorate the 35th anniversary of Presley's passing.
Recognizing the breadth of Presley's recording career, Legacy asked voters to select songs from seven musical categories: '50s, '60s, Country, Movies, Love Songs, Gospel, and In Concert. The final track listing includes songs from all of these genres. From Elvis' earliest, arguably most explosive days comes "Don't Be Cruel," "Heartbreak Hotel" (both 1956) and "All Shook Up" (1957). Presley's motion pictures are represented by three enduring title songs, "Jailhouse Rock," "Blue Hawaii" and "Viva Las Vegas." The compilation also embraces "comeback" hits like "Suspicious Minds" (also heard in a live version) and "The Wonder of You," as well as spiritual recordings "(There'll Be) Peace in the Valley (For Me)" and "How Great Thou Art."
Hit the jump for the full track listing and more!
Fans who voted were given the opportunity to pre-order the new compilation and have their names included in its final artwork, space permitting. They were also invited to upload a photograph to be utilized in a photo-mosaic of the King to be created by Elvis Presley Enterprises licensee Fan Mosaics. Nearly 8,000 photos will be part of the mosaic, which will be available both as the CD album cover and a limited edition poster available now for pre-order.
I Am an Elvis Fan arrives in stores from RCA and Legacy Recordings on July 31. It can be pre-ordered below! Watch this space for our next Elvis feature in which we bring you up to date on the next releases from Follow That Dream!
Elvis Presley, I Am An Elvis Fan (RCA/Legacy JK 542334, 2012)
- Don't Be Cruel (RCA single 47-6604, 1956)
- Heartbreak Hotel (RCA single 47-6420, 1956)
- All Shook Up (RCA single 47-6870, 1957)
- Jailhouse Rock (RCA single 47-7035, 1957)
- Blue Hawaii (RCA LP LSP-2426, 1961)
- Viva Las Vegas (RCA single 47-8360, 1964)
- In The Ghetto (RCA single 47-9741, 1969)
- Suspicious Minds (RCA single 47-9764, 1969)
- Memories (RCA single 47-9731, 1969)
- Can't Help Falling In Love (RCA single 47-7968, 1961)
- The Wonder Of You (RCA single 47-9835, 1970)
- Always On My Mind (RCA single 74-0815, 1972)
- Welcome To My World (RCA LP VPSX-6089, 1973)
- Guitar Man (RCA single 47-9425, 1968)
- Kentucky Rain (RCA single 47-9791, 1970)
- An American Trilogy (live)
- Burning Love (live)
- Suspicious Minds (live)
- (There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me) (RCA EP EPA-4054, 1957)
- How Great Thou Art (RCA LP LSP-3758, 1967)
- If I Can Dream (RCA single 47-9670, 1968)
Leave a Reply