Last July, the 7a Records label debuted with a limited edition vinyl release of Micky Dolenz's The MGM Singles Collection. Since that auspicious release, the all-things-Monkees label founded by Iain Lee and Glenn Gretlund has enriched Micky, Peter, Michael and Davy's discography with numerous other releases on both vinyl and compact disc. On October 7, the label will be going full circle with the first-time CD release of The MGM Singles Collection in a lavishly expanded edition featuring the original ten tracks and twelve bonus cuts!
The MGM Singles Collection reissues, for the first time, all ten single sides released between 1971 and 1974 by Dolenz on the MGM, Lion and Romar labels (out of a total 28 tracks he recorded while at MGM and its various affiliated imprints). Among the tracks you'll hear on The MGM Singles is a rendition of "Daybreak," written, arranged and conducted by Dolenz's pal Harry Nilsson; "A Lover's Prayer" written by Randy Newman; a medley of classic Buddy Holly tunes; and two sides ("Easy on You" b/w "Oh Someone") with Peter Tork helping out on arrangements. Two sides from Micky's collaboration with Michael Lloyd as Starship have also been included. Dolenz produced some adventurous work at MGM, the best of which is showcased here; fellow Monkee Davy Jones also landed at the label during the creatively fertile period.
For its CD debut, The MGM Singles Collection adds twelve rare and out-of-print bonus tracks to bring Micky's story up to the present day, including "Chance of a Lifetime" and "Living on Lies" from his first single release in 33 years (released on vinyl by 7a this past Record Store Day); and "Porpoise Song/Good Morning, Good Morning," "Randy Scouse Git" and "Crying in the Rain" from his 2016 collaborative vinyl EP with Circe Link and Christian Nesmith (sold out in 7a's pressing released earlier this year). Reissue producer and radio host Iain Lee's exclusive interview is also featured, along with a stereo alternate version of Harry Nilsson's "Daybreak" and four additional single rarities: "Love Light" and "Alicia" from a 1979 Chrysalis single, and "To Be or Not to Be" and "Beverly Hills" from a 1981 release on the Japan All Round Music Company label. (This impressive disc rounds up virtually all of Dolenz's single sides between 1971 and 2016, with just a couple of exceptions.) All of the recordings were transferred from the original master tapes, except for four tracks where the original masters could no longer be located. These four tracks were painstakingly restored from original vinyl sources. Dave Blackman has freshly remastered every song for remarkable sound.
This exciting new anthology of Micky Dolenz's most memorable solo releases boasts a deluxe 24-page color booklet with exclusive photographs by the legendary Henry Diltz and full, detailed liner notes by Mark Kleiner and 7a's Glenn Gretlund. It's due from the 7a team on October 7! The MGM Singles Collection is available now at a sizeable discount from Deep Discount, and is also up for pre-order at Amazon. You'll find pre-order links and the full track listing below!
- Easy On You (MGM K 14309, 1971)
- Oh Someone (MGM K 14309, 1971)
- Unattended In The Dungeon (MGM K 14395, 1972)
- A Lover's Prayer (MGM K 14395, 1972)
- Johnny B. Goode (as Starship, Lead Vocal: Michael Lloyd) (Lion 132, 1972)
- It's Amazing To Me (as Starship) (Lion 132, 1972)
- Daybreak (MGM/Romar RO-710, 1973)
- Love War (MGM/Romar RO-710, 1973)
- Buddy Holly Tribute: Peggy Sue / Every Day / Maybe Baby / That'll Be The Day (Romar/MGM RO-715, 1974)
- Ooh She's Young (Romar/MGM RO-715, 1974)
- Daybreak (Stereo Version of MGM/Romar RO-710, 1973)
- Love Light (Chrysalis CHS 2297, 1979)
- Alicia (Chrysalis CHS 2297, 1979)
- To Be or Not to Be (Japan All Round Music Company J 8112, 1981)
- Beverly Hills (Japan All Round Music Company J 8112, 1981)
- Chance of a Lifetime (7a Records 7A003, 2016)
- Chance of a Lifetime (Alternate Version of above)
- Living on Lies (7a Records 7A003, 2016)
- Porpoise Song/Good Morning, Good Morning (7a Records 7A006, 2016)
- Crying in the Rain (7a Records 7A006, 2016)
- Randy Scouse Git (7a Records 7A0076, 2016)
- Iain Lee Interviews Micky Dolenz (previously unreleased on CD)