From the moment she burst onto the music scene in 1962 exhorting "Don't Make Me Over," Dionne Warwick has been a musical force with which to be reckoned. The legendary singer blended elegant pop and deeply-felt soul in a fashion which remains unrivaled today for its sophistication and polish; her signature songs like "Walk On By," "I Say a Little Prayer," "Alfie," and "I'll Never Love This Way Again" have all become cornerstones of the new American songbook. Dionne's remarkable life and career will be saluted on a new Public Television special which begins airing nationwide in many cities tomorrow, Saturday, August 18 with additional telecasts the following week and on some stations into September. Check your local listings or go to this PBS station search link: https://www.pbs.org/tv_schedules/
MY MUSIC Presents: Dionne Warwick - Then Came You traces Warwick's history from her upbringing in East Orange, New Jersey through her breakthrough success in the 1960s as one-third of the "triangle marriage" with Burt Bacharach and Hal David, right up through her successful collaborations with Thom Bell and Barry Manilow and to the present day. A "Who's Who" of talent have lined up to pay tribute to Warwick in this fascinating portrait of an artist and her craft, including Bacharach, Manilow, Gladys Knight, Smokey Robinson, Johnny Mathis, Richard Carpenter, Chuck Jackson and Steve Tyrell. Warwick herself is featured in brand-new interview footage, as well.
At the heart of Then Came You is a treasure trove of rare, full-length performances by Warwick at all stages in her career, including indelible musical performances of the following classic songs:
- "Anyone Who Had A Heart"
- "I Say A Little Prayer"
- "Do You Know The Way To San Jose?"
- "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"
- "Don't Make Me Over"
- "Theme From 'Valley Of The Dolls'"
- "The Windows Of The World"
- "Promises, Promises"
- "Message To Michael"
- "Reach Out For Me"
- "Make It Easy On Yourself" (with Burt Bacharach)
- "Then Came You" (with The Spinners)
- "I'll Never Love This Way Again"
- "That's What Friends Are For" (with Elton John, Gladys Knight and Stevie Wonder)
This one-of-a-kind special is part of the acclaimed MY MUSIC series of fundraising "pledge shows" presented by Series Creator/Executive Producer TJ Lubinsky and producers Jim Pierson and JoAnn Young. During the PBS airings, viewers will have the opportunity to purchase Then Came You on DVD - which offers an additional, all-new documentary, The Dionne Warwick Story, not seen on TV as well as extended song performances and other extras, along with a pair of exclusive, new PBS-only CD releases offering many rarities, including tracks never-before-on CD and previously unreleased masters.
The deluxe 3-CD The 1960s Singles Plus is the set for which Dionne fans have long been waiting: a complete collection featuring the A- and B-sides of every one of her classic Scepter Records singles, first released between 1962 and 1977. A total of 74 songs are featured including all of the classic original Bacharach/David productions like "I'll Never Fall in Love Again," "Promises, Promises," and "Anyone Who Had A Heart," and rare favorites like "Slaves," "Amanda," "He's Moving On," and many, many more. All of the remastered tracks are presented in their original mono single mixes, with the exception of a few later titles issued as stereo singles. Music historian Paul Grein has provided the new liner notes, and rare pictures are sprinkled throughout.
But TJL wouldn't leave Dionne's career hanging! She followed up the Scepter years with further triumphs, and TJL is proud to present them on another collectors' dream release. Hits & Rarities 1974-1999 is the first comprehensive look at this period in Warwick's career, featuring such smashes as "Then Came You," "I'll Never Love This Way Again," "Heartbreaker," "Déjà Vu," and "That's What Friends Are For." Among the rare tracks here are the duet "In Love Alone" with Richard Carpenter; the lullaby "Sail Away" recorded for a children's album; the Bacharach/David reunion "On My Way" from the 1999 film Isn't She Great; and the new-to-domestic CD recording of "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To" from the Dionne Warwick Sings Cole Porter sessions. And that's still not all. Seven previously unreleased tracks premiere on Hits & Rarities, including duets with Barry Manilow ("Never Gonna Let You Get Away") and Barry Gibb ("Let It Be Me"); Manilow's production of the Bacharach/David classic "The Last One to Be Loved"; "What Becomes of Love" from the 1981 television miniseries Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls; two concert tracks; and the full, extended stereo version of her theme to The Love Boat. TSD's Joe Marchese has penned the liner notes based on new interviews with Warwick and Bacharach, and it's all been remastered at Sony's Battery Studios.
Additionally, the 2013 CD Dionne Warwick Sings Burt Bacharach is also being offered in conjunction with Then Came You. This splendid set was originally offered as a PBS exclusive pledge incentive for the Burt Bacharach's Best special, and contains both Scepter label singles and album tracks with a rare Warner Bros. cut. See TSD's original coverage here for all information on this title including the track listing!
Check your local listings for the My Music presentation of Dionne Warwick - Then Came You on Public Television premiering this weekend in most areas. Be sure to call your local PBS station or any PBS outlet of your choice to make a donation and receive the new CDs and/or DVD or go to the link here and pledge online:
You'll find the track listings for both CD releases just below!
Dionne Warwick, The Complete 1960s Singles Plus (TJL, 2018)
- DON'T MAKE ME OVER
- I SMILED YESTERDAY
- THIS EMPTY PLACE
- WISHIN' AND HOPIN'
- MAKE THE MUSIC PLAY
- PLEASE MAKE HIM LOVE ME
- ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART
- THE LOVE OF A BOY
- WALK ON BY
- ANY OLD TIME OF DAY
- YOU'LL NEVER GET TO HEAVEN (IF YOU BREAK MY HEART)
- A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME
- REACH OUT FOR ME
- HOW MANY DAYS OF SADNESS
- YOU CAN HAVE HIM
- IS THERE ANOTHER WAY TO LOVE YOU
- WHO CAN I TURN TO
- DON'T SAY I DIDN'T TELL YOU SO
- HERE I AM
- THEY LONG TO BE CLOSE TO YOU
- LOOKING WITH MY EYES
- ONLY THE STRONG, ONLY THE BRAVE
- ARE YOU THERE (WITH ANOTHER GIRL)
- IF I EVER MAKE YOU CRY
- MESSAGE TO MICHAEL
- HERE WHERE THERE IS LOVE
- TRAINS AND BOATS AND PLANES
- DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART
- I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF
- IN BETWEEN THE HEARTACHES
- ANOTHER NIGHT
- GO WITH LOVE
- THE BEGINNING OF LONELINESS
- THE WINDOWS OF THE WORLD
- WALK LITTLE DOLLY
- I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER
- (THEME FROM) VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
- DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE
- LET ME BE LONELY
- WHO IS GONNA LOVE ME?
- (THERE'S) ALWAYS SOMETHING THERE TO REMIND ME
- PROMISES, PROMISES
- WHOEVER YOU ARE, I LOVE YOU
- THIS GIRL'S IN LOVE WITH YOU
- DREAM SWEET DREAMER
- THE APRIL FOOLS
- ODDS AND ENDS
- AS LONG AS THERE'S AN APPLE TRE
- YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELING
- WINDOW WISHING
- I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN
- WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE
- LET ME GO TO HIM
- LONELINESS REMEMBERS WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS
- PAPER MACHE
- THE WINE IS YOUNG
- MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF
- KNOWING WHEN TO LEAVE
- THE GREEN GRASS STARTS TO GROW
- THEY DON'T GIVE MEDALS TO YESTERDAY'S HEROES
- WHO GETS THE GUY
- WALK THE WAY YOU TALK
- HE'S MOVING ON
- THE LOVE OF MY MAN
- HURTS SO BAD
- RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD
- I'M YOUR PUPPET
- THE GOOD LIFE
- MEDLEY: REACH OUT & TOUCH (SOMEBODY'S HAND)/ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE
- ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK A HEART
- IF I RULED THE WORLD
Dionne Warwick, Hits & Rarities 1974-1999 (TJL, 2018)
- THEN CAME YOU (with The Spinners)
- I'LL NEVER LOVE THIS WAY AGAIN
- DÉJÀ VU
- NO NIGHT SO LONG
- FRIENDS IN LOVE (with Johnny Mathis)
- HOW MANY TIMES CAN WE SAY GOODBYE (with Luther Vandross)
- THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR - Dionne and Friends (Elton John, Gladys Knight & Stevie Wonder)
- LOVE POWER (with Jeffrey Osborne)
- LOVE WILL FIND A WAY (with Whitney Houston)
- SAIL AWAY
- THE LAST ONE TO BE LOVED (*)
- NEVER GONNA LET YOU GET AWAY (with Barry Manilow) (*)
- LET IT BE ME (with Barry Gibb) (*)
- IN LOVE ALONE (with Richard Carpenter)
- YOU'D BE SO NICE TO COME HOME TO (**)
- WHAT BECOMES OF LOVE (from the television miniseries Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls) (*)
- ON MY WAY (from the motion picture Isn't She Great)
- WELCOME TO MY WORLD (Live) (*)
- TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING (Live) (*)
- THE LOVE BOAT THEME (from the television series The Love Boat) (Complete Version) (*)
(*) previously unreleased
(**) previously unreleased on U.S. CD