“Words by Hal David.” That credit graces many of the most cherished popular songs of the second half of the twentieth century, including “(They Long To Be) Close To You,” “I Say a Little Prayer,” “The Look of Love,” and of course, “What the World Needs Now Is Love.” Beginning this weekend, Public Television stations nationwide will be celebrating the life and legacy of Hal David with a new special.
What the World Needs Now: Words by Hal David from John Paulson Productions is hosted by The Divine Miss M, Bette Midler, and features interviews with such luminaries as David’s musical partners Burt Bacharach and Dionne Warwick, singer-songwriter Valerie Simpson, music journalist Francis Davis, and National Public Radio’s Terry Gross (host of Fresh Air). This music-packed special boasts classic performances of David’s timeless songs from a “Who’s Who” of legendary artists, among them Aretha Franklin, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Dusty Springfield, The Carpenters, B. J. Thomas, Tom Jones, Jackie DeShannon, Glen Campbell, and, of course, Dionne Warwick.
A companion CD and DVD will be available for pledges. The CD, released in conjunction with Real Gone Music, collects 19 of David’s biggest hits and most beloved tunes including Dionne’s “Don’t Make Me Over,” “Do You Know the Way to San Jose,” and “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again,” Dusty Springfield’s “Wishin’ and Hopin'” and “The Look of Love,” B.J. Thomas’ “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head,” Jackie DeShannon’s “What the World Needs Now Is Love,” Melissa Manchester’s “Walk on By,” Carpenters’ “(They Long to Be) Close to You,” Frank Sinatra’s “American Beauty Rose,” Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias’ “To All the Girls I’ve Loved Before,” and Barbra Streisand’s duet-for-one medley of “One Less Bell to Answer” and “A House Is Not a Home.” Our very own Joe Marchese has penned the liner notes for this essential Hal David tribute, drawing on new quotes from Burt Bacharach, Dionne Warwick, B.J. Thomas, Richard Carpenter, Jackie DeShannon, and Melissa Manchester. A DVD of What the World Needs Now: Words by Hal David will also be available as a pledge incentive and include additional songs and rare footage not seen in the television broadcast.
Please visit HalDavidMovie.com for more information including broadcast times for the special. You may receive the exclusive companion CD and/or the program DVD by making a donation to any PBS station airing the program starting this weekend of March 2. If you want to wait and purchase the items later this year without supporting PBS, you will find links to purchase the CD and DVD directly as of October, 2019. You’ll find the track listing for the companion CD below!
Various Artists, What the World Needs Now: Words by Hal David (John Paulson Productions/Real Gone Music, 2019)
- American Beauty Rose – Frank Sinatra
- The Story of My Life – Marty Robbins
- Make It Easy on Yourself – Jerry Butler
- Don’t Make Me Over – Dionne Warwick
- Wishin’ and Hopin’ – Dusty Springfield
- Walk on By – Melissa Manchester
- What the World Needs Now Is Love – Jackie DeShannon
- The Look of Love – Dusty Springfield
- Do You Know the Way to San Jose – Dionne Warwick
- What’s New Pussycat? – Tom Jones
- Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head – B.J. Thomas
- 99 Miles from L.A. – Albert Hammond
- Alfie – Cher
- I Say a Little Prayer – Aretha Franklin
- I’ll Never Fall in Love Again – Dionne Warwick
- (They Long to Be) Close to You – Carpenters
- One Less Bell to Answer/A House Is Not a Home – Barbra Streisand
- It Was Almost Like a Song – Ronnie Milsap
- To All the Girls I’ve Loved Before – Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson