Our friends at Real Gone Music have some sweet news to share. The label continues its color vinyl soundtrack reissue series with Cher and Christina Aguilera's Burlesque pressed on hot pink and the soundtrack to Martin Scorsese's The Departed on green wax. Fans of sixties pop will delight in the upcoming opaque blue vinyl celebration of The Archies. All the titles will be pressed in limited quantities and are set to arrive on September 13.
In 2010, two of the biggest divas in music joined forces for the campy Burlesque. While the film wasn't well-received across the board, the soundtrack reached the Top 20 upon its release and Cher's "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me" even won a Golden Globe for Best Original Song. Cher still performs "Welcome to Burlesque" in concert today. Christina Aguilera's contributions were, as the press release notes, "sassy, jazzy, and brassy, not unlike her work on her No. 1 album from 2006, Back To Basics." Real Gone's hot pink pressing marks the soundtrack's debut on vinyl. The disc itself is housed in a newly designed gatefold sleeve adorned with production stills from the film.
The soundtrack to The Departed will also receive the Real Gone color vinyl treatment on September 13. The songs in the film are a key storytelling device, serving not only as underscore, but also to drive the plot and intensify iconic scenes. As Real Gone writes in the press release, "The Dropkick Murphys' 'I'm Shipping Up to Boston' during Leonardo DiCaprio's stint in jail is the real scene-stealer, but the version of 'Comfortably Numb' during his love scene with Vera Farmiga is another highlight." For its vinyl debut, the label will press the soundtrack on "kelly green" color vinyl, housed in a printed inner sleeve within a luxurious jacket. It will be limited to only 1,100 copies.
Finally, Real Gone is set to celebrate one of the legendary names of bubblegum pop: The Archies. The iconic "group that wasn't" was envisioned by Don Kirshner as a manufactured group. In media, the faces for the band were the Archie characters from the comic books, but behind-the-scenes, The Archies were actually helmed by producer and Brill Building legend Jeff Barry. Barry's partner for the project was Andy Kim, of "Rock Me Gently" fame. Together with lead vocalists Ron Dante and Toni Wine, the team released seven chart hits, including "Sugar, Sugar" and "Jingle Jangle." The Definitive Archies: Greatest Hits and More! is a new vinyl compilation that brings together 14 tracks, including six chart hits. Unlike previous retrospective collections, this one isn't a dub from a vinyl disc. Within the package, the listener will find comprehensive sleeve notes from Ed Osborne. The record itself will be pressed on opaque blue vinyl and is limited to only 1,000 copies. Fans of bubblegum and power-pop won't want to miss out on this collectors pack!
- Something's Got a Hold on Me - Christina Aguilera
- Welcome to Burlesque - Cher
- Tough Lover - Christina Aguilera
- But I Am a Good Girl - Christina Aguilera
- Guy What Takes His Time - Christina Aguilera
- Express - Christina Aguilera
- You Haven't Seen the Last of Me - Cher
- Bound to You - Christina Aguilera
- Show Me How You Burlesque - Christina Aguilera
- The Beautiful People (from Burlesque) - Christina Aguilera
Various Artists, The Departed: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (originally Warner Bros. Records/Warner Sunset CD CDW 43259, 2006 -- reissued Real Gone Music, 2019) (Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada)
- Comfortably Numb - Roger Waters, Van Morrison, The Band
- Sail On, Sailor - The Beach Boys
- Let It Loose - The Rolling Stones
- Sweet Dreams - Roy Buchanan
- One Way Out - The Allman Brothers Band
- Baby Blue - Badfinger
- I'm Shipping Up to Boston - Dropkick Murphys
- Nobody But Me - The Human Beinz
- Tweedle Dee - LaVern Baker
- Sweet Dreams (of You) - Patsy Cline
- The Departed Tango Howard Shore (featuring Marc Ribot on dobro and Larry Saltzman on guitar)
- Beacon Hill Howard Shore (performed by Sharon Isbin)
Feelin' So Good (S.K.O.O.B.Y.-D.O.O.)
Who's Your Baby?
- Inside Out - Upside Down
- Get on the Line
- Melody Hill
- Love Light
- Bicycles, Roller Skates and You
- Sugar, Sugar