Brilliant Live Adventures. That's how Parlophone is describing the latest catalogue initiative for the late David Bowie. This series will encompass six live albums from the 1990s which will be released in limited edition, one-time pressings on both vinyl and CD. The first three albums will all be released before Christmas, with the remaining three early in 2021.
The first Brilliant Live Adventure, coming on October 28 on single-CD and double-vinyl formats from Bowie's official webstore, is Ouvrez Le Chien (Live Dallas '95). (The English translation of the title is "Open the dog," a favorite expression of the artist's which he used in "All the Madmen" as well as "Buddha of Suburbia.") Released as a streaming-only title in July, the album features previously unreleased performances from the October 14, 1995 Dallas, Texas stop on Bowie's Outside Tour, which also featured Nine Inch Nails. Though none of NIN's tracks are included, the disc boasts both hits, deep cuts, fan favorites from Bowie's past - including "Andy Warhol," "Breaking Glass," "Under Pressure," "Teenage Wildlife," "Joe The Lion," and "The Man Who Sold the World" -- plus six songs from 1. Outside and a cover of Bowie influence Scott Walker's "Nite Flights."
Ouvrez Le Chien was produced by Bowie and recorded by Steve Guest. Backing Bowie that evening were Carlos Alomar on rhythm guitar, Reeves Gabrels on lead guitar and vocals, Gail Ann Dorsey on bass and vocals, Zachary Alford on drums, musical director Peter Schwartz on keyboards and synthesisers, George Simms on vocals, and Mike Garson on piano and keyboards. Iman took the cover photograph.
Two tracks from Bowie's performance at Birmingham's National Exhibition Centre ("Moonage Daydream" and "Under Pressure") were appended to the streaming release; these are not included here but could conceivably be part of a future release in the series. Empty slipcases for the CDs and LPs were released this morning at Bowie's webstore, but sold out in a matter of minutes - unfortunately before The Second Disc could bring this news to you. We'll monitor the situation as to whether these will be re-pressed and offered once again.
In the meantime, both the CD and LP formats of Ouvrez Le Chien (Live Dallas '95) are available now for pre-order. They're due to ship on October 28.
David Bowie, Ouvrez Le Chien (Live Dallas '95) (Parlophone, 2020)
- "Look Back In Anger"
- "The Hearts Filthy Lesson"
- "The Voyeur Of Utter Destruction (As Beauty)"
- "I Have Not Been To Oxford Town"
- "Andy Warhol"
- "Breaking Glass"
- "The Man Who Sold The World"
- "We Prick You"
- "I'm Deranged"
- "Joe The Lion"
- "Nite Flights"
- "Under Pressure"
- "Teenage Wildlife"
- "Look Back In Anger" (David Bowie/Brian Eno)
- "The Hearts Filthy Lesson (David Bowie/Brian Eno/Michael Garson/Sterling Campbell/Erdal "Kizilcay/Reeves Gabrels)
- "The Voyeur Of Utter Destruction (As Beauty) (David Bowie/Brian Eno/Reeves Gabrels)
- "I Have Not Been To Oxford Town" (David Bowie/Brian Eno)
- "Outside" (David Bowie/Kevin Armstrong)
- "Andy Warhol" (David Bowie)
- "Breaking Glass" (David Bowie/George Murray/Dennis Davis)
- "The Man Who Sold The World" (David Bowie)
- "We Prick You" (David Bowie/Brian Eno)
- "I'm Deranged" (David Bowie/Brian Eno)
- "Joe The Lion" (David Bowie)
- "Nite Flights" (Scott Engel)
- "Under Pressure" (David Bowie/Freddie Mercury/Roger Taylor/John Deacon/Brian May)
- "Teenage Wildlife" (David Bowie)
Recorded live at the Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, October 13, 1995
Im a fan since 1976,and I love his music so much!He is a great musican and actor!
jim rosenthall says
Falls upon deaf ears