Following its recent deluxe LP reissue of The Monkees’ debut, Run Out Groove is turning its attention to More of the Monkees, the group’s sophomore LP featuring the chart-topping “I’m a Believer” and top 20 hit “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone.” More of the Monkees displaced its predecessor from the top of the Billboard 200 where it remained for a staggering 18 weeks. A sign of the times, it became the first pop-rock LP to top Billboard‘s year-end sales chart. In addition to Neil Diamond’s ‘I’m a Believer” and Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart’s “Steppin’ Stone,” the album also featured Diamond’s “(Look Out) Here Comes Tomorrow,” Carole Bayer Sager and Neil Sedaka’s “When Love Comes Knockin’ (At Your Door),” and Gerry Goffin and Carole King’s “Sometime in the Morning.” Michael Nesmith shone with “Mary, Mary” as well as “The Kind of Girl I Could Love,” the latter co-written with Roger Atkins. The album was previously expanded on CD by Rhino in 1994 (1CD), 2006 (2CD), and 2017 (3CD) but this presentation marks its first deluxe edition on vinyl. Andrew Sandoval has produced, written the liner notes, and mastered with Kevin Gray from the original analog tapes while Steve Stanley has beautifully designed the release.
Run Out Groove’s full press release is reprinted below:
The Monkees’ 1967 classic, More of the Monkees (Deluxe Edition), is Run Out Groove’s new pre-order title. The iconic quartet’s second studio album remained on the Billboard 200 chart at No. 1 for 18 weeks – the longest of any Monkees album and went on to become 5x platinum certified in the U.S. Notable for being the first pop/rock album to be the best-selling album of the year in the States., it includes iconic tracks such as the Neil Diamond-written “I’m A Believer,” which peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone,” which peaked at No. 20.
When asked about the reissue, Micky Dolenz said, “”Those were crazy times! I would film the television show for ten hours a day, grab a burger, then race over to RCA Records to lay down tracks for the first album. Sometimes a couple of lead vocals per night! I don’t remember much from those overloaded days, but I’m told I had a great time.”
For the standard album tracks, lacquers will be cut directly from the original stereo analog tapes by Kevin Gray and Andrew Sandoval for the best sonic experience. The album will be expanded to a 2LP set, featuring rarities making their debut on vinyl. If that wasn’t enough, it will come in a beautiful gatefold, tip-on style jacket with new liner notes by Andrew, and lots of photos.
A limited 180g transparent green vinyl edition will be available that can only be purchased exclusively at RunOutGrooveVinyl.com while supplies last. There is also a standard black vinyl edition available. More of the Monkees (Deluxe Edition) will be available to preorder through August 17, 2021 and then will get a one-time limited and numbered pressing.
Each month, Run Out Groove allows fans to vote on the label’s next high-quality vinyl pressing, chosen from selections of unreleased material, reissues of out-of-print titles, titles that have never seen a vinyl release or brand-new collections compiled from the Warner Music vaults. You can vote on this month’s titles here. [Currently up for voting: deluxe editions of Chimaira’s Pass Out of Existence and Mance Lipscomb’s Trouble in Mind, as well as a reissue of Flotsam and Jetsam’s No Place for Disgrace.]
For a selection of previous titles now available in stores, check our past titles section on the website. To locate older titles in our catalog that are sold out, please check our retail store locator. To check out titles we currently have for sale, please go to our shop section.
The Monkees, More of the Monkees: Deluxe Edition (Colgems LP 102, 1967 – reissued Run Out Groove, 2021)
- She (Stereo Mix) 2:40
- When Love Comes Knockin’ (At Your Door) (Stereo Mix) 1:48
- Mary, Mary (Stereo Mix) 2:20
- Hold On Girl (Stereo Mix) 2:28
- Your Auntie Grizelda (Stereo Mix) 2:36
- (I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone (Stereo Mix) 2:34
- Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow) (Stereo Mix) 2:16
- The Kind Of Girl I Could Love (Stereo Mix) 1:54
- The Day We Fall In Love (Stereo Mix) 2:25
- Sometime In The Morning (Stereo Mix) 2:31
- Laugh (Stereo Mix) 2:29
- I’m A Believer (Stereo Mix) 2:49
- Apples, Peaches, Bananas and Pears (stereo) 2:18
- Don’t Listen To Linda (2017 stereo remix) 2:29
- I’ll Be Back Up On My Feet (first recorded version) 2:38
- Of You (mono mix) 1:58
- I Don’t Think You Know Me (second recorded version – mono mix) 2:20
- Words (first recorded version – mono TV mix) 2:49
- Valleri (first recorded version – mono TV mix) 2:32
- Through The Looking Glass (first recorded version – 2017 stereo remix) 2:34
- I Never Thought It Peculiar (mono TV mix) 2:13
- Tear Drop City (1966 mono mix) 2:18
- Hold On Girl (first recorded version – 2017 stereo remix 2:46
- I’ll Spend My Life With You (first recorded version – 2017 stereo remix) 2:32
- Webster (first recorded version – 2017 stereo remix) 2:52
- (I Prithee) Do Not Ask For Love (first recorded version – 2017 stereo remix) 3:18