Welcome to this week's Release Round-Up! It's a smaller week than usual owing to the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday as well as to Record Store Day's slate of Black Friday releases! To all those who celebrated Thanksgiving, we hope it was a wonderful one!
David Bowie, Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) (Parlophone)
Parlophone continues its career-spanning series of box sets for the late David Bowie. The fifth Era box set, Brilliant Adventure, includes:
- Five remastered studio albums (Black Tie White Noise (1993), The Buddha of Suburbia (1993), Outside (1995), Earthling (1997), 'hours...' (1999));
- A remastered and expanded BBC Radio Theatre show from 2000 (originally released in part on that year's Bowie at The Beeb box set);
- The legendary 2001 unreleased album Toy, featuring many reworkings of Bowie's earliest songs; and
- A triple-disc Re:Call 5 set featuring edits, B-sides, one-offs, and soundtrack appearances.
The CD version has an 84-page hardcover book while the LP version has a 128-page hardcover accompanying it. The book boasts rare photos and memorabilia, tech notes from Brian Eno, Nile Rodgers, Reeves Gabrels, and Mark Plati, and a new interview with Erdal Kizilçay. The vinyl box will feature faithfully-reproduced artwork and be pressed on 180-gram vinyl. The CDs will be gold instead of silver. Read more here.
Michael Bublé, Christmas: Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition (Warner/Reprise)
Michael Bublé's 2011's Christmas, his fifth album for Reprise, has become his most successful LP to date, with over 4 million copies sold in the U.S. and 12 million worldwide. It's also had four billion streams (calculated as equivalent to 60 million albums). Warner Records and Reprise will celebrate 10 years of Christmas with a limited Super Deluxe box set.
The box contains:
- The original album on CD and exclusive green vinyl;
- DVD: The Making of Christmas, a previously released behind-the-scenes and in-the-studio compilation filmed during the recording of the album with Bublé's commentary;
- A 48-page hardcover book including a new letter from the artist to his fans;
- An individually numbered 12 x 12 lithograph (an edition with a signed lithograph is also available);
- An exclusive Christmas ornament plus 6 sheets of wrapping paper and 6 Christmas cards; and
- A bonus CD of seven songs including two newly-recorded tracks, a 2015 digital single, and more.
For those uninterested in the vinyl and swag but still hoping to grab those extra songs, the seven-song bonus disc is available as part of a 2-CD Canada-exclusive edition (which can be imported elsewhere). Read more about the box set here.
Howard Jones at the BBC is a 5CD treasure trove of rare and unreleased recordings from the artist taped by the national radio between 1983 and 1987. Aside from appearances on a handful of B-sides and as bonus material - including a long out-of-print box set of Howard's first two albums that came with a live bonus disc in 2010 - all of these tracks are being heard for the first time since they were broadcast. Read more here.
Carla Olson has brought together an array of female artists to celebrate the artistry of Gordon Lightfoot on this new 14-song CD release. Ladies Sing Lightfoot features Olson ("Ringneck Loon") and her band The Textones ("Early Morning Rain") as well as Susan Cowsill ("if You Could Read My Mind"), Natalie Noone ("Steel Rail Blues"), Shayna Alder ("Carefree Highway"), and many others on a variety of Lightfoot favorites.
Deep Purple and producer Bob Ezrin bring their stamp to a number of familiar covers including "7 and 7 Is," "Dixie Chicken," "White Room," and "The Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu." Available on CD, LP, and digitally.
And here's one you might have missed from last week...
After fourteen years, Robert Plant and Alison Krauss have reteamed for another deeply-felt, rootsy collection. Raise the Roof, like its Grammy-winning predecessor Raising Sand, has been produced by T Bone Burnett. It's available on CD and vinyl as well as in a Barnes and Noble blue vinyl exclusive and a Target-exclusive CD or LP with two additional songs.