At 80 years old - hell, at many ages younger than that - Paul McCartney has little to prove. Fans may blanch at his catalogue choices of late (whither the Archive Collection? why box up all the self-titled albums? we've heard and seen it all), but it's hard to claim all of his reissue products as uninteresting. Take The 7" Singles Box - a rather massive trove of vinyl featuring 80 single releases personally curated by the former Beatle.
With 163 tracks across its sides, The 7" Singles Box revises history somewhat: it spans his global history of 7" releases, including several that never got a proper release on the format, or 12" and CD line-ups reformatted for this package. Of the 80 discs, 65 will be exact replicas of original 45s, with various international sleeves reproduced along the way; the remaining 15 consist of "tracks previously released on 12", picture discs, CD singles & promos, digital downloads, music videos, two previously unheard demos, and a previously unheard 7" single edit."
It all ties into Paul's own love of the 45, per the press release (and a new foreword he's written for the package, preceding a new essay by Rolling Stone's Rob Sheffield and other detailed discographical information). If nothing else, The 7" Singles Box offers a striking alternate history of McCartney's solo career, with some harder-to-find treats along the way.
The box will be limited to 3000 copies worldwide and can be pre-ordered at his official store; each copy will come with a random test pressing of one of the discs. A digital version will also be available, allowing for some of the rarer gems to enjoy a wider release. (No CD edition, though.) It's slated to ship around December 2 - a perfect last-minute mega Christmas gift for anyone who already pored through the Revolver box.
The 7" Singles Box (MPL/Capitol/UMe, 2022)
- Another Day b/w Oh Woman, Oh Why (Sweden, 1971)
- Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (Mono) b/w Too Many People (Mono) (U.S. promo, 1971)
- UK 3A: The Back Seat of My Car b/w Heart of the Country (U.K., 1971)
- Love Is Strange (Single Edit) b/w I Am Your Singer (previously unreleased on 7")
- Give Ireland Back to the Irish b/w Give Ireland Back to the Irish (Version) (U.K., 1972)
- Mary Had a Little Lamb b/w Little Woman Love (U.K., 1972)
- Hi, Hi, Hi b/w C Moon (Belgium, 1972)
- My Love b/w The Mess (Live at The Hague) (Israel, 1973)
- Live and Let Die b/w I Lie Around (Sweden, 1973)
- Helen Wheels b/w Country Dreamer (Spain, 1973)
- Jet b/w Let Me Roll It (Germany, 1974)
- Band on the Run b/w Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five (The Netherlands, 1974)
- Mrs. Vandebilt b/w Bluebird (The Netherlands, 1974)
- Junior's Farm b/w Sally G (Belgium, 1974)
- Listen to What the Man Said b/w Love in Song (Australia, 1975)
- Letting Go b/w You Gave Me the Answer (Germany, 1975)
- Venus and Mars/Rock Show b/w Magneto and Titanium Man (Belgium, 1975)
- Silly Love Songs b/w Cook of the House (France, 1976)
- Let 'Em In b/w Beware My Love (Germany, 1976)
- Maybe I'm Amazed (Live) b/w Soily (Live) (Japan, 1977)
- Mull of Kintyre b/w Girls' School (U.K., 1977)
- With a Little Luck (DJ Edit) b/w Backwards Traveller/Cuff Link (Germany, 1978)
- I've Had Enough b/w Deliver Your Children (U.K., 1978)
- London Town b/w I'm Carrying (The Netherlands, 1978)
- Goodnight Tonight b/w Daytime Nightime Suffering (France, 1978)
- Old Siam, Sir b/w Spin It On (U.K., 1979)
- Getting Closer b/w Baby's Request (U.K. 1979)
- Arrow Through Me b/w Old Siam, Sir (Japan, 1979)
- Wonderful Christmastime b/w Rudolph the Red Nosed Reggae (U.K., 1979)
- Coming Up b/w Coming Up (Live at Glasgow) / Lunch Box/Odd Sox (U.K., 1980)
- Waterfalls b/w Check My Machine (U.K., 1980)
- Temporary Secretary b/w Secret Friend (7" Single Edit) (previously unreleased on 7")
- Ebony and Ivory b/w Rainclouds (U.K., 1982)
- Take It Away b/w I'll Give You a Ring (U.K., 1982)
- Tug of War b/w Get It (U.K., 1982)
- Say Say Say b/w Ode to a Koala Bear (U.K., 1983)
- Pipes of Peace b/w So Bad (U.K., 1983)
- No More Lonely Nights (Ballad) b/w No More Lonely Nights (Playout Version) (U.K., 1984)
- We All Stand Together b/w We All Stand Together (Humming Version) (U.K., 1984)
- Spies Like Us b/w My Carnival (U.S., 1985)
- Press (Video Edit) b/w It's Not True (U.S., 1986)
- Pretty Little Head (Remix) b/w Write Away (reformatted from U.S. 12" promo, 1986)
- Stranglehold b/w Angry (Remix) (U.S., 1986)
- Only Love Remains b/w Tough on a Tightrope (U.K., 1986)
- Once Upon a Long Ago b/w Back on My Feet (U.K., 1987)
- My Brave Face b/w Flying to My Home (U.S., 1989)
- This One b/w The First Stone (U.K., 1989)
- Figure of Eight (7" Bob Clearmountain Mix) b/w Où Est le Soleil (Australia, 1989)
- Party Party b/w artwork etching (U.K., 1989)
- Put It There b/w Mama's Little Girl (U.K., 1990)
- The Long and Winding Road b/w C Moon (Europe, 1990)
- Birthday b/w Good Day Sunshine (U.K., 1990)
- All My Trials b/w C Moon (U.K., 1990)
- The World You're Coming Into / Tres Conejos b/w Save the Child / The Drinking Song (Let's Find Ourselves a Little Hostelry) (previously unreleased on 7")
- Hope of Deliverance b/w Long Leather Coat (Europe, 1992)
- C'mon People b/w I Can't Imagine (Germany, 1993)
- Young Boy b/w Looking for You (reformatted from 7" picture disc, 1997)
- The World Tonight b/w Used to Be Bad (reformatted from 7" picture disc, 1997)
- Beautiful Night b/w Love Come Tumbling Down (reformatted from 7" picture disc, 1997)
- No Other Baby b/w Brown Eyed Handsome Man / Fabulous (U.K., 1999)
- From a Lover to a Friend b/w Riding into Jaipur (Europe, 2001)
- Tropic Island Hum / We All Stand Together (Europe, 2004)
- Fine Line b/w Growing Up Falling Down (Europe, 2005)
- Jenny Wren b/w Summer of '59 (Europe, 2005)
- Dance Tonight b/w Dance Tonight (Demo) (previously unreleased on 7")
- Nod Your Head b/w 222 (previously unreleased on 7")
- Ever Present Past b/w House of Wax (Live) (Europe, 2007)
- Sing the Changes b/w Nothing Too Much Just Out of Sight (Radio Edit) (previously unreleased on 7")
- (I Want to) Come Home b/w (I Want to) Come Home (Demo) (previously unreleased on 7")
- My Valentine b/w Get Yourself Another Fool (previously unreleased on 7")
- Christmas Kisses: The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) b/w Wonderful Christmastime (U.S., 2012)
- New b/w Early Days (previously unreleased on 7")
- Queenie Eye b/w Save Us (previously unreleased on 7")
- Hope for the Future b/w Hope for the Future (Thrash Mix) (previously unreleased on 7")
- In the Blink of an Eye b/w Walking in the Park with Eloise (previously unreleased on 7")
- I Don't Know b/w Come On to Me (global, 2018)
- Who Cares b/w Fuh You (previously unreleased on 7")
- Home Tonight b/w In a Hurry (global, 2019)
- Find My Way b/w Winter Bird/When Winter Comes (previously unreleased on 7")
- Women and Wives b/w Women and Wives (St. Vincent Remix) (previously unreleased on 7")
Ricardo Amaral says
I reeeeeeaaally hoped they could have thrown a HD link (as in all their Archive releases) to match. As it is available on digital, it would not be a stretch.
Jarmo Keranen says
There's maybe two cd's worth of material that i have liked. And all of them are from years 1970-89. What a waste of vinyl!
Rob M says
At least we get digital options. Hopefully we can pick and choose tracks, and not be forced to buy the entire collection as one.
Man…he REALLY must hate “London Town” and “Back To The Egg”…
Phil Cohen says
In another 5 to 10 years, we'll get the "London Town" and "Back to The Egg" boxed sets....posthumously.
Bob Elliott says
No CD edition? That’ll be a big pass from me.
Brian Stanley says
$600 for 180 tunes?!?
I truly think if you wanted to stick with physical CDs, you could pick up basic versions of all of the McCartney/Wings albums and collections that make up this material as well as the full Beatles albums and most of John, George and Ringo’s output as well for that amount.
Brian Stanley says
I would much rather have a Wings complete singles A's and B's CD collection. The Wingspan CD collection, while good, fell short and omitted some great Wings era singles.
Phil O. says
Alas, "Fabulous" misses its chance for a digital release!
Brian from Canada says
It was on the 2007 iTunes edition, and will be on the digital version of this box – it's digital and vinyl, no CD.
with all the high prices just to live here is greedy paul ,revolver just was released and here comes paul again to to make a money grab. all these songs bar a few are all ready released . how does he sleep ?
Lots of complainers here. No one is holding a gun to your head to buy this product. This is a great collectible that is only going to go up in value. Can't wait til mine comes in the mail!!
Barry Hansen says
if some kind soul wants to list which of these tracks are actually unreleased or rare, versus all the stuff that we all have already on albums, your effort would not go unappreciated!