On this day, seminal ’90s pop-punk band Green Day gets the kind of musical immortality only reserved for a select few. That’s right, today’s the day that the Green Day: Rock Band video game hits stores. Fans will finally be able to control Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool as they ascend from obscurity to supposed sellouts.
If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times: I don’t get the concept of selling out at all. So many supposed fans get mad when their beloved local act hits the big time and has the nerve to be well-received by the population en masse. Why don’t these fans instead devote their energy to welcoming and shepherding new fans, thereby connecting to a new friend or two? I’m not sure, but I do know that Green Day has been pelted with that “sellout” brickbat for years. I don’t care if they deserve it or not (whether they do only gets tenuous when you bring that Broadway show into the equation), because they put out some damn good music in their tenure as a band thus far.
Perhaps ironically, given the vitriol delivered unto Green Day when they signed to major label Reprise Records, none of that material has ever been remastered or reissued. (The earlier stuff on indie label Lookout has been given its share of repackages – double irony.) Naturally, in honor of the band’s entrance into video game immortality, it makes sense to look at the album that put them into the national consciousness – 1994’s Dookie – and present a Reissue Theory track list for the disc.
Do you have the time to listen to me…uh, speculate? Do so after the jump.
Green Day, Dookie (originally released as Reprise 9 45529-2, 1994)
- Burnout – 2:07
- Having a Blast – 2:44
- Chump – 2:54
- Longview – 3:59
- Welcome to Paradise – 3:44
- Pulling Teeth – 2:30
- Basket Case – 3:03
- She – 2:14
- Sassafras Roots – 2:37
- When I Come Around – 2:58
- Coming Clean – 1:34
- Enemius Sleepus – 1:43
- In the End – 1:46
- F.O.D. – 2:48
- All by Myself – 1:38
- On the Wagon (U.K. 7″ B-side to “Longview” – Reprise WO 247, 1994) – 2:48
- Tired of Waiting for You (U.K. B-side to “Basket Case” single – Reprise WO 257CD, 1994) – 2:30
- 409 in Your Coffeemaker (Unmixed Version 1994) (U.K. B-side to “Basket Case” single – Reprise WO 257CD, 1994) – 2:49
- Haushinka (Early Version) *
- Walkin’ the Dog *
- 2000 Light Years Away (Cavallo & Finn Remix) (from Jerky Boys: Original Movie Soundtrack – Atlantic 82708-2, 1995)
* Previously unreleased tracks – Track 19 later released on Nimrod (Reprise 9 46974-2, 1998)