For Daryl Hall, “Every Time You Go Away” might have been “the one that got away.” Hall recorded his song on Hall and Oates’ 1980 album Voices, where it languished as an album track in the shadow of hit singles “Kiss on My List,” “You Make My Dreams,” “How Does It Feel to Be Back,” and “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’.” But you can’t keep a great blue-eyed soul ballad down. In 1985, Hall’s composition became the centerpiece of British-born Paul Young’s sophomore album The Secret of Association, reaching No. 1 in the U.K., going Top 20 in America, and propelling the LP to double platinum status in the U.K. and Gold in America. It’s also the track leading off Cherry Pop’s new 2-CD set dedicated to Remixes and Rarities of Young’s eighties output for Columbia Records.
The 24-track compendium restores a number of said Remixes and Rarities back to print, alongside tracks new to CD and previously available only in Japan. This eclectic selection of tracks – original, extended 12-inch mixes, B-sides and live recordings – has been drawn from the multiple singles accompanying Young’s first four Columbia albums: No Parlez (1983), The Secret of Association (1984), Between Two Fires (1986) and Other Voices (1990). In all, the two discs include over 2-1/2 hours of music representing one-stop-shopping for the kind of material usually reserved for bonus tracks.
Let’s take a look after the jump! Plus: the full track listing and order links!
From solo debut No Parlez, a U.K. chart-topper, Remixes and Rarities includes the Scratch Mix of “Come Back and Stay,” the full length version of “Love Will Tear Us Apart,” the Extended Remix of Booker T. Jones, David Porter and Steve Cropper’s “Iron Out the Rough Spots,” and the Extended Club Mixes of “Sex,” Marvin Gaye’s “Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home),” a U.K. No. 1, and the oft-covered “Love of the Common People,” a No. 2 hit. The Extended Club Mix of B-side “Yours” is also present, as is a live version of “Oh Women” from the Liverpool Royal Court. “It’s Better to Have and Don’t Need” and “Behind Your Smile” have also been included from this same October 3, 1983 concert.
In addition to the Extended Version of “Every Time You Go Away,” associated tracks from U.S. breakthrough The Secret of Association include the Remixed U.S. Dance Floor Smash version and Special Extended Mix of “I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down,” Instrumental and Extended Versions of “Everything Must Change,” the 12-Inch mix “Tomb of Memories,” the Extended Mixes of “Hot Fun” (its title inspired by Sly and the Family Stone’s “Hot Fun in the Summertime”) and “I Was in Chains,” and Billy Bragg’s “Man in the Iron Mask,” originally a B-side.
Between Two Fires continued Young’s success streak at home (No. 3 on the album chart) but found him cooling considerably in the United States (No. 77). It remains one of his strongest albums, though, with Young writing more material, and co-producing and arranging, as well. Remixes and Rarities features the Milan Mix of Betsy Cook’s “Wonderland” (a Top 25 U.K. hit), the Dub Version of “Some People” (No. 56 U.K./No. 65 U.S.), and the Extended Remix of “Why Does a Man Have to Be Strong.” Other Voices, indeed, celebrated other songwriting voices, with Young only contributing three songs to the original LP. Here, you’ll hear the 12-inch version of Paul Rutter’s “Heaven Can Wait,” and the Extended Version of Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway’s “Softly Whispering I Love You” (a 1971 hit for The English Congregation originally sung by Cook and Greenaway as David and Jonathan). (Young’s second and last U.S. Top 10 hit to date, a cover of The Chi-Lites’ “Oh Girl,” isn’t present on the new collection in any form.)
Following Young’s the period of Young’s four Columbia albums covered in this collection, he scored further hits in the U.K. (“Senza Una Donna (Without a Woman),” a Top 5 duet with Zucchero) and the U.S. (an Adult Contemporary chart-topping take on Jimmy Ruffin’s “What Becomes of the Brokenhearted”), and in 1993 finished his Columbia tenure with the release of The Crossing. Young has only recorded sporadically since then, but he remains a draw in concert up to the present day.
Remixes and Rarities follows Cherry Pop’s 2012 deluxe 2-CD reissue of Other Voices. It includes a foldout sheet with track-by-track notes by Paul Young and numerous memorabilia images, plus a Japanese-style OBI strip affixed by sticker to the jewel case. Discographical annotation is provided for the tracks, though release years are missing. This expansive collection has been compiled by Paul Sinclair and John Reed, with remastering by Nick Watson. You can order Remixes and Rarities at the links below!
- Every Time You Go Away (Extended Version) (12-inch single TA 6300)
- Wonderland (Milan Mix) (12-inch single YOUNG T1)
- Come Back and Stay (Scratch Mix) (12-inch singles A 12.4321/A 12-4238)
- I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down (Remixed U.S. Dance Floor Smash) (12-inch single TA 6762)
- Why Does a Man Have to Be Strong (Extended Remix) (12-inch single YOUNG T3)
- Man in the Iron Mask (12-inch single TA 6321/7-inch single A 6321)
- Iron Out the Rough Spots (Extended Remix) (CD CBS 25521/cassette CBS 40-25521)
- Yours (Extended Club Mix) (12-inch single TA 3636)
- It’s Better to Have and Don’t Need (Live) (12-inch single TA 3585)
- Hot Fun (Extended Mix) (12-inch single TA 6762/cassette CBS 40-26234)
- I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down (Special Extended Mix) (12-inch single TA 4786/cassette CBS 40-26234)
- Everything Must Change (Instrumental Version) (7-inch single double pack DA 4972)
- Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home) (Extended Club Mix) (12-inch single TA 3371/cassette CBS 40-25521)
- Some People (Dub) (12-inch single 44 05979)
- Heaven Can Wait (12″ Version) (12-inch single 656312/CD single YOUNG C6)
- Love Will Tear Us Apart (Full Length Version) (CBS 25521/cassette 40-25521)
- Behind Your Smile (Live) (7-inch single A 3585/double pack DA 3585/The Live Edition 20-3P-578)
- Oh Women (Live) (7-inch single double pack DA 3585/The Live Edition 20-3P-578)
- Tomb of Memories (12″ Mix) (Edsel CD EDSD 2006)
- Love of the Common People (Extended Club Mix) (12-inch single TA 3585/cassette CBS 40-25521)
- Softly Whispering I Love You (Extended Version) (12-inch single YOUNG T4/CD single YOUNG C4)
- Sex (Extended Club Mix) (12-inch single TA 3371/cassette 40-25521)
- Everything Must Change (Extended Version) (12-inch single TA 4972/cassette 40-26234)
- I Was in Chains (Extended Mix) (CBS cassette 40-26234)
All tracks previously released on CBS/Columbia unless otherwise indicated.