The sudden passing of Donna Summer in 2012 had fans old and new flocking to her music to hear some of the finest disco music imaginable. This fall, Verve Records will bring that legacy into a new era with Love to Love You Donna, a set featuring new remixes of her most enduring tracks.
Happily, Love to Love You Donna features more than its share of enduring remixers to give Summer’s hits the respect they deserve. Electronic funk duo Chromeo tackles her 1982 hit “Love is in Control (Finger on the Trigger),” England’s Hot Chip reconfigure “Sunset People,” a deep cut from the Bad Girls LP and Afrojack (who remixed Michael Jackson’s Bad for Legacy’s 25th anniversary edition of the album) lends his talents to “I Feel Love.”
But the most notable collaborator is one of the most famous in Summer’s career. Giorgio Moroder, the Italian songwriter/producer who established his career in the States as one of Summer’s primary collaborators, from 1974’s debut Lady of the Night to 1980’s The Wanderer (plus unreleased 1981 project I’m a Rainbow, which finally made it to CD in 1996), provides a new mix of “Love to Love You Baby” with producer/remixer Chris Cox. An unreleased Summer/Moroder collaboration, “La Dolce Vita,” closes out the 13-track disc.
Love to Love You Donna is out October 22. Track list (courtesy of Idolator) and Amazon U.S. link are after the jump.
Love to Love You Donna (Verve, 2013)
- Love to Love You Baby (Giorgio Moroder feat. Chris Cox Remix)
- Dim All the Lights (Duke Dumont Remix)
- Hot Stuff (Frankie Knuckles and Eric Kupper as Director’s Cut Signature Mix)
- I Feel Love (Afrojack Remix)
- Love is in Control (Finger on the Trigger) (Chromeo & Oliver Remix)
- Sunset People (Hot Chip Dub)
- Working the Midnight Shift (Holy Ghost! Remix)
- Bad Girls (Gigamesh Remix)
- MacArthur Park (Laidback Luke Remix)
- I Feel Love (Benga Remix)
- On the Radio (Jacques Greene Remix)
- Last Dance (Masters At Work Remix Short Version)
- La Dolce Vita – Donna Summer & Giorgio Moroder (previously unreleased)