When directors Joel and Ethan Coen adapted Charles Portis' novel True Grit in 2010 for its second big-screen adaptation, one element was noticeably missing: the Academy Award-nominated title song by Elmer Bernstein and Don Black, so winningly introduced by Glen Campbell in the 1969 film version. Campbell's recording yielded a Top 10 Country and AC/Top 40 Pop single, and remains one of his most beloved songs today. "True Grit" appeared on a brief, 10-track album in which two renditions as sung by Campbell bookended eight tracks of Bernstein's stirring score. But that was just the tip of the iceberg for both the orchestral score and songs of True Grit. Happily, nearly 45 years later, La La Land Records has just delivered the first complete soundtrack to Henry Hathaway's original film including six vocals by Glen Campbell and one by country songwriting great John Hartford.
John Wayne received his only Academy Award for his portrayal of the irascible, one-eyed U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn, starring opposite Campbell as the young Texas Ranger named Le Boeuf and Kim Darby as 14-year old Mattie Ross. Mattie enlists Cogburn and Le Boeuf to track down the outlaw that murdered her father in the western adventure. True Grit was so successful that it spawned a sequel, 1975's Rooster Cogburn, with Wayne reprising the title role opposite another cinema legend, Katharine Hepburn. And one of the elements of True Grit's success was the score by Elmer Bernstein (1922-2004). Though he was a versatile composer in any genre, the Academy Award-winning Bernstein became a western-movie legend thanks to his instantly recognizable theme to The Magnificent Seven. He also had a long history with Wayne, scoring films such as 1961's The Comancheros, 1965's Hathaway-directed The Sons of Katie Elder and later, 1971's Big Jake, 1973's Cahill U.S. Marshal, 1974's McQ and 1976's The Shootist (Wayne's final film role).
What will you find on the deluxe new True Grit? Hit the jump for more details, the complete track listing and order link!
Produced by Lukas Kendall and Neil S. Bulk and mastered by Doug Schwartz from the original 1/4 inch mono masters, La La Land's new CD of True Grit greatly expands on the original Capitol Records presentation. The main portion of the album features 19 score tracks, and an appendix of 9 tracks features a number of vocal and instrumental treats. "True Grit" is heard three times - in Campbell's record version, Bernstein's demo, and Michael Dees' recording. Campbell also sings Bernstein and Black's "The Eyes of the Young," an alternate lyric version of the "True Grit" melody. John Hartford - writer of Campbell's hit "Gentle on My Mind" - appears singing his song "Go Home Girl," and Campbell also performs "Go Home Girl" in two different recordings with lyric variations. If you have the long-deleted CD release of the original 1969 Capitol album, hold onto it, folks! Though Campbell's vocals have been retained, the pop-flavored re-recordings (arranged by Artie Butler and conducted by Bernstein) that filled out the album have not been included here.
This limited edition of 3,000 units also features new liner notes penned by Jeff Bond. True Grit: Music from the Motion Picture is shipping now from La La Land Records, and can be ordered at the link below!
Elmer Bernstein, True Grit: Music from the Motion Picture (La La Land LLLCD 1260, 2013)
- True Grit (Main Title) - Vocal by Glen Campbell 2:01
- True Grit (Alternate) - Vocal by Glen Campbell 1:55
- A Dastardly Deed :38
- A Stiff Job / Businesslike Mattie 2:06
- Papa's Things / Pony Mine 2:09
- Rooster and La Boeuf Off :55
- Runaway Races Away / The Chase / On Their Way 3:54
- Big Trail :48
- Where There Is Smoke 1:25
- The Dying Moon 3:24
- Preparation Dugout 1:48
- Dugout Stakeout / Shots Galore 4:01
- Ruffled Rooster 1:27
- Mattie and Little Blackie 1:04
- Over Bald Mountain / Rooster in the Meadow 3:56
- The Meadow Fight / A Long Shot / The Snake Pit / The Liftout / Sad Departure / Chen Lee and the General (The Pace That Kills) 10:24
- A Ride for Life 1:31
- Warm Wrap Up 1:35
- End Credits :57
- Main Title (Alternate, Orchestral) 1:37
- Go Home Girl (John Hartford) - John Hartford 3:30
- Go Home Girl (John Hartford) - Glen Campbell 3:32
- Go Home Girl (Revised Lyrics Version) (John Hartford) - Glen Campbell 3:06
- The Eyes of the Young (Bernstein-Black) - Glen Campbell 2:20
- True Grit (Demo) (Bernstein-Black) - Elmer Bernstein 2:07
- True Grit (Bernstein-Black) - Michael Dees 1:48
- True Grit (Record Version) (Bernstein-Black) - Glen Campbell 2:30
- End Credits (Film Version - Main Title Instrumental/End Credits) :56
A re-recorded version of the soundtrack was originally released as Capitol LP ST-263, 1969