Since shortly before The Second Disc began in 2010, we've seen a swath of major reissues, overhauls and catalog deliveries of the works of both The Beatles, together and separately, too. This fall, it's time to take a look at the catalogue of one of The Beatles' most intriguing associates: Yoko Ono.
John Lennon's second wife is not "the woman who broke up The Beatles," as has been famously charged. But John's devotion to her as expressed in much of his solo music, as well as her own challenging solo works, has ruffled a few feathers along the way. No matter--this fall, audiences will have a chance to hear her classic records anew, when the Secretly Canadian label kicks off a reissue project spanning her discography from 1968 to 1985.
The first batch of reissues, due on vinyl, CD and (for the first time) digitally November 11, will include the avant-garde releases Unfinished Music No. 1: Two Virgins (1968) and Unfinished Music No. 2: Life with the Lions (1969)--both recorded with Lennon--and 1970's solo Plastic Ono Band, released simultaneously with John's debut solo album of the same name and ensemble, months after The Beatles' dissolution. All are newly remastered and expanded, with reconstructed packaging and never-before-seen archival photos.
A further eight albums, spanning from Fly (1971) to Starpeace (1985) and also including 1969's experimental Lennon-Ono collaboration Wedding Album, will follow in 2017. See pre-order links below!
Unfinished Music No. 1: Two Virgins (originally released as Apple/Track Record SAPCOR 2 (U.K.)/Apple/Tetragrammaton T-5001 (U.S.), 1968 - reissued Secretly Canadian/Chimera Music, 2016)
- Two Virgins Side 1 (No. 1/Together/No. 2/No. 3/No. 4/No. 5)
- Two Virgins Side 2 (No. 6/Hushabye Hushabye/No. 7/No. 8/No. 9/No. 10)
- Remember Love (B-side to "Give Peace a Chance," Apple Records 13 (U.K.), 1969)
Unfinished Music No. 2: Life with the Lions (originally released as Zapple 01 (U.K.)/ST-3357 (U.S.), 1969 - reissued Secretly Canadian/Chimera Music, 2016)
- Cambridge 1969
- No Bed for Beatle John
- Baby's Heartbeat
- Two Minutes Silence
- Radio Play
- Song for John (from Rykodisc/Zapple reissue RCD 10412, 1997)
- Mulberry (from Rykodisc/Zapple reissue RCD 10412, 1997)
Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band (originally released as Apple SAPCOR 17 (U.K.)/SW-3373 (U.S.), 1970 - reissued Secretly Canadian/Chimera Music, 2016)
- Why Not
- Greenfield Morning I Pushed An Empty Baby Carriage All Over the City
- Touch Me
- Paper Shoes
- Open Your Box (from Rykodisc reissue RCD 10414, 1997)
- Something More Abstract (from Rykodisc reissue RCD 10414, 1997)
- Why (Extended Version) *
- The South Wind (from Rykodisc reissue RCD 10414, 1997)