Quality control is the name of the game for these issues as the Acoustic Sounds series will feature music remastered by top engineers in an all-analog chain, 180-gram vinyl pressed at Quality Record Pressings, and deluxe tip-on gatefold packaging done at Stoughton Printing Company.
The series will continue on through to November with two releases a month from the Verve Label Group roster: August sees reissues of John Coltrane’s genre-defining Impulse! albums A Love Supreme and Ballads. Nina Simone’s Philips titles I Put A Spell On You and Pastel Blues follow in September, and then two titles from the EmArcy Records catalog arrive in October: Sarah Vaughan‘s self-titled 1954 album and the Max Roach and Clifford Brown collaboration, Study In Brown. November will see reissues of two Decca classics: Peggy Lee’s Black Coffee (part of the Lee centennial celebration) and George Russell’s New York, N.Y., the 1959 recording featuring Bill Evans, John Coltrane, Art Farmer and Milt Hinton, and more. Further titles will be announced to follow the November offerings.
“We’re very honored to have Verve and UMe partnering with us to create what we believe will be the highest quality reissues of some of the world’s greatest jazz albums,” Acoustic Sounds CEO Chad Kassem said in a statement. “Each step in our production process – from title selection to mastering, pressing and packaging – is designed to meet the highest standards, and we want everyone who hears these albums to feel the love and hard work we put into everything we do.”
So, if somehow you don’t already own copies of these jazz staples from the Verve Label Group, or you’re looking to experience your favorites in a new way, their new series promises to deliver. The first pairing –Getz/Gilberto and Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson – are available to pre-order now. Scroll down for links and to see a complete listing of titles to come throughout the year.
Acoustic Sounds Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series:
August 28 / Verve Records
- Stan Getz and João Gilberto – Getz/Gilberto (1964) [pre-order links below!]
- Louis Armstrong and Oscar Peterson – Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson (1959) [pre-order links below!]
August 28 / Impulse! Records
- John Coltrane – Ballads (1963)
- John Coltrane – A Love Supreme (1964)
September 25 / Philips Records
- Nina Simone – I Put A Spell On You (1965)
- Nina Simone – Pastel Blues (1965)
October 30 / EmArcy Records
- Sarah Vaughan – Sarah Vaughan (with Clifford Brown) (1954)
- Clifford Brown and Max Roach – Study In Brown (1955)
November 27 / Decca Records
- Peggy Lee – Black Coffee (1956)
- George Russell – New York, N.Y. (1959)
- The Girl From Ipanema
- Para Machuchar Meu Coração
- Só Danço Samba
- O Grande Amor
- Vivo Sonhando
- That Old Feeling
- Let’s Fall in Love
- I’ll Never Be the Same
- Blues in the Night (My Mama Done Tol’ Me)
- How Long Has This Been Going On?
- I Was Doing All Right
- What’s New?
- Moon Song
- Just One of Those Things
- There’s No You
- You Go To My Head
- Sweet Lorraine