It has been encouraging to see, in light of Genesis' impending induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a number of commenters showing their respect for the Phil Collins-led, pop-savvy incarnation of the band. The group's output was always listenable - one could argue the 1990s was largely an exception - but it always seemed popular opinion was against them around the Invisible Touch era.
This is ironic, since the same year Invisible Touch was released, former Genesis frontman Peter Gabriel released his most pop-savvy record, So. The two of those records - Invisible Touch and So - are fascinating, but So has an atmospheric quality to its songs that no pop album from that year could lay claim to. And the hits kept coming - "Sledgehammer," "Don't Give Up," "Big Time," "Red Rain" (but not "In Your Eyes," which missed the U.S. Top 20 on its first run and didn't even crack the Top 40 after Say Anything... used the song to massive effect).
But one should not discount Collins' ability to craft really effective pop. He did it with Genesis, Philip Bailey, Anni-Frid Lyngstad of ABBA and of course himself, scoring in 1985 with No Jacket Required, an LP that even featured the talents of Gabriel on closing track "Take Me Home."
To honor the two vocalists of Genesis, here's a special reissue theory look at their most beloved solo discs.
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required (Virgin V2345 (U.K.)/Atlantic 81240-1 (U.S.), 1985)
Disc 1: Original LP
- Only You Know and I Know
- Long Long Way to Go
- I Don't Wanna Know
- One More Night
- Don't Lose My Number
- Who Said I Would?
- Doesn't Anybody Stay Together Anymore?
- Inside Out
- Take Me Home
Disc 2: B-sides, remixes and other songs
- We Said Hello Goodbye (7" B-side to "Take Me Home" - Virgin VS 777, 1985)
- I Like the Way (7" B-side to "One More Night" - Virgin VS 755, 1985)
- The Man with the Horn (7" B-side to "Sussudio" - Virgin VS 736, 1985)
- Take Me Home (Extended Mix) (12" A-side - Virgin VS 777-12, 1985)
- Sussudio (Extended Mix) (12" A-side - Virgin VS 736-12, 1985)
- Who Said I Would? (Extended Mix) (from 12"ers compilation - Virgin CDEP 4, 1987)
- Only You Know and I Know (Extended Mix) (12" B-side to "Separate Lives" - Virgin VS 818-12, 1985)
- Don't Lose My Number (Extended Mix) (U.S.-only 12" A-side - Atlantic 0-86863, 1985)
- One More Night (Extended Mix) (12" A-side - Virgin VS 755-12, 1985)
- Life is a Rat Race (previously unreleased re-recorded version of "The Man with the Horn") *
- Separate Lives (with Marilyn Martin) (from White Nights soundtrack - Atlantic 81273-1-E, 1985)
- We Said Hello Goodbye (Don't Look Back) (from Playing for Keeps soundtrack - Atlantic 81678-1, 1985)
* from the Miami Vice episode "Phil the Shill"
Peter Gabriel - So (Charisma PG 5 (U.K.)/Geffen GHS 24088 (U.S.), 1986)
- Red Rain
- Don't Give Up (feat. Kate Bush)
- That Voice Again
- Mercy Street
- Big Time
- We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)
- This is the Picture (Excellent Birds)
- In Your Eyes*
- Don't Break This Rhythm (7" B-side to "Sledgehammer" - Virgin PGS 1, 1986)
- I Have the Touch (1985 Remix) (12" B-side to "Sledgehammer" - Virgin PGS 112, 1986)
- Curtains (7" B-side to "Big Time" - Virgin PGS 3, 1986)
- GAGA (7" B-side to "Red Rain" - Virgin PGS 4, 1987) **
- Biko (Live Video Mix) (non-LP single - Virgin PGS 6, 1987)
- No More Apartheid (non-LP single - Virgin PGS 6, 1987)
- Sledgehammer (John "Tokes" Potoker Extended Dance Mix) (12" A-side - Virgin PGS 113, 1986)
- Big Time (Extended Version) (12" A-side - Virgin PGS 312, 1986)
- In Your Eyes (Special Mix) (7" B-side to "Don't Give Up" - Virgin PGS 2, 1986)
* Using the 2002 remaster track list, where "In Your Eyes" was moved to the end from the Track 5 slot (first track of Side 2)
** an instrumental of "I Go Swimming," first heard on the Plays Live LP