Our Black Friday Record Store Day shopping list has just gotten a little longer! Following our recent announcement of Legacy Recordings’ slate for November 28, we have news of the offerings coming your way from Omnivore Recordings, Rhino and Varese Sarabande!
For the gang at Omnivore, it’s all about amazing indie pop! The label recently reissued Game Theory’s debut album Blaze of Glory, and on November 24, the Omnivores will unveil the first U.S. release of the band’s compilation Dead Center. That French release (which will gain 11 bonus tracks in Omnivore’s edition) featured new music along with selected tracks from the EPs Pointed Accounts of People You Know and Distortion (produced by Michael Quercio of The Three O’Clock and featuring Earl Slick on guitar!). On Black Friday, listeners will have the chance to experience those two EPs in complete form, as originally heard. Both will be reissued on 10-inch vinyl, with an Omnivore twist: the latter will be on green vinyl, and the former on clear vinyl. Joining Game Theory is the band Sneakers, out of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, featuring Chris Stamey, Mitch Easter and Will Rigby. The original, self-released Sneakers EP is presented on 10-inch clear vinyl with an expanded track list of 9 songs! A download card is also included in this new release. All three titles are limited to 1,500 units.
A new stereo LP pressing of Genesis’ From Genesis to Revelation is on the Black Friday horizon from Varese Sarabande. This release marks the first time this album has been released on vinyl since its original U.S. release in 1974, and Varese’s reissue features a replica of the original inner sleeve with full lyrics. The LP boasts the original core Genesis line-up of Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, Anthony Phillips, and Peter Gabriel, and is limited to 3,500 units.
The team at Rhino has nine limited edition releases set for Black Friday 2014 including colored vinyl, multi-LP sets, and even a picture disc! The Rhino line-up has such heavy hitters as The Afghan Whigs, The Doors, Grateful Dead, Hüsker Dü, Iron Butterfly (in mono!), New Order, Ramones (as curated by the irrepressible Morrissey!), Ronnie James Dio and the Velvet Underground!
Game Theory, Pointed Accounts of People You Know (Omnivore, 2014)
- Penny, Things Won’t
- Metal and Glass Exact
- Selfish Again
- I Wanna Get Hit by a Car
- Life in July
- 37th Day
Game Theory, Distortion (Omnivore, 2014)
- Shark Pretty
- Nine Lives to Rigel Five
- The Red Baron
- Kid Convenience
- Too Late for Tears
Sneakers, Sneakers (Omnivore, 2014)
- Condition Red
- Love’s Like a Cuban Crisis
- On the Brink
- Let’s Live for Today
- Story of a Girl
- S’il Vous Plaît
Genesis, From Genesis to Revelation (Varese Vintage, 2014)
- Where The Sour Turns To Sweet
- In the Beginning
- Fireside Song
- The Serpent
- Am I Very Wrong?
- In the Wilderness
- The Conqueror
- In Hiding
- One Day
- In Limbo
- The Silent Sun
- A Place to Call My Own
The Afghan Whigs, Gentlemen at 21 (Deluxe Edition)
- 3-LP limited edition of 4,750 copies on 180-gram vinyl
The Doors/Peter LaFarge, Honor the Treaties (“Ghost Song” b/w “Drums”)
- Individually numbered, limited edition of 8,000 copies on 180-gram vinyl. Proceeds to benefit Honor the Treaties, an organization dedicated to amplifying the voices of Indigenous communities through art and advocacy.
Grateful Dead, 11/18/72 Hofheinz Pavilion, Houston, TX
- 2-LP limited edition of 7,200 copies on 180-gram vinyl
Hüsker Dü, Warehouse: Songs and Stories
- 2-LP limited edition of 5,000 copies on neon green and yellow vinyl
Iron Butterfly, Heavy (Mono)
- Limited edition of 4,000 copies in mono on 180-gram vinyl
New Order, 1981-1982
- Limited edition of 6,700 copies on clear vinyl
Ramones, Morrissey Curates the Ramones
- Individually numbered, limited edition of 9,000 copies
Dio & Friends, Stand Up And Shout For Cancer
- Features tracks from Dio, Anthrax, Halestorm, and Corey Taylor.
- 12-inch picture disc, limited edition of 5,500 copies
- Proceeds to benefit The Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund, which promotes cancer prevention research and awareness and early prevention education.
Velvet Underground, MCMXCII
4-LP limited edition of 7,500 copies on translucent blue vinyl