Last month, Real Gone Music announced the release of seven Christmas-related goodies, including a pair of joint releases with Second Disc Records. But, as temperatures fall, Real Gone plans to bring more than just holiday melodies to keep listeners warm this winter. On December 14, the label will release limited-edition, two-disc colored vinyl sets of two cult film soundtracks: Music From Vanilla Sky and Orange County: The Soundtrack.
Vanilla Sky was Cameron Crowe's seventh film. Based on Alejandro Amenábar's 1997 psychological thriller, Abre los ojos (Open Your Eyes), it follows the reflections of a real estate magnate as he tries to piece together the details of a car accident, only to find that the lines between dream and nightmare, reality and fiction, begin to blur. One of the highlights of the film is its soundtrack, which brings together music by Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, The Chemical Brothers, and more.
As a former music journalist with credits in Rolling Stone and Creem magazines, Cameron Crowe has always meticulously crafted the soundtracks for his films. Vanilla Sky's is no exception. The eclectic soundtrack was curated by Crowe, along with his then-wife Nancy Wilson of Heart, and co-producer Danny Bramson. Like the film, Music From Vanilla Sky feels like a waking dream -- moods shift, genres collide, and the whole experience leans toward the surreal. Critical reception of the soundtrack was glowing and its title track by Paul McCartney was nominated for an Academy Award in 2001.
Now, Real Gone Music has announced a limited-edition, 2-LP set of Music From Vanilla Sky. Limited to 1,000 units, the soundtrack is pressed onto "blue cloud"-colored vinyl and housed in a gatefold sleeve adorned with production stills from the film. It will arrive on December 14.
That same day, Real Gone will also release Orange County: The Soundtrack, a 2-LP set featuring the music from the Jake Kasdin-directed film. Released in 2002, Orange County followed the story of an O.C. surfer kid as he tries to get into Stanford University. The soundtrack was full of compelling tunes by the likes of Cake, Social Distortion, Pete Yorn, and Brian Wilson. It also boasted two new tracks: Foo Fighters' "The One" and The Offspring's "Defy You."
Real Gone's release marks the soundtrack's first-ever vinyl release. Limited to 700 copies, the two-disc set will be pressed on orange vinyl and presented in a gatefold sleeve embellished with production stills.
Both soundtrack albums will be released on December 14 and are available for preorder now. You can check out the full track listings and preorder links for both albums below!
1. R.E.M. -- All the Right Friends
2. Radiohead -- Everything in Its Right Place
3. Paul McCartney -- Vanilla Sky
4. Peter Gabriel -- Solsbury Hill
5. Julianna Gianni -- I Fall Apart
1. The Monkees -- Porpoise Song (Theme from "Head")
2. Looper featuring Francis Macdonald -- Mondo '77
3. Red House Painters -- Have You Forgotten
4. Josh Rouse -- Directions
5. Leftfield/Afrika Bambaataa -- Afrika Shox
1. Sigur Ros -- Svefn-G-Englar
2. Jeff Buckley -- Last Goodbye
3. Todd Rundgren--Can We Still Be Friends
1. Bob Dylan -- Fourth Time Around
2. Nancy Wilson -- Elevator Beat
3. R.E.M. -- Sweetness Follows
4. The Chemical Brothers -- Where Do I Begin
1. The Offspring -- Defy You
2. Social Distortion -- Story of My Life (live)
3. Foo Fighters -- The One
4. Cake -- Shadow Stabbing
1. Crazy Town -- Butterfly
2. Bad Ronald -- 1st Time
3. Brian Wilson -- Lay Down Burden
4. Lit -- Everything's Cool
1. 12 Rods -- Glad That It's Over
2. Quarashi -- Stick 'Em Up
3. Pete Yorn -- Lose You
1. Creeper Lagoon -- Under the Tracks
2. Brian Wilson -- Love and Mercy
3. Phantom Planet -- California